Book Cruise Travel Insurance for your next holiday
Cruise travel insurance is a specific policy that covers the activities and risks more likely to be associated with a cruise holiday. This may include cover for missed port departures and cabin confinement which would not be included in most standard travel insurance packages. Whether you are looking to purchase cover for your whole family, for seniors, or simply enough comprehensive cover to enjoy a bit of scuba diving with your partner whilst you're away, it's important to plan ahead and buy the right travel insurance for your particular needs. At Holiday Extras, we offer dedicated cruise insurance policies to help ensure you have a tranquil, stress-free time at sea.
Whilst booking your cruise is an exciting prospect, we understand that finding a travel insurance policy that is both affordable and reliable, isn't always fun or top of your holiday to-do list. At Holiday Extras we aim to make this experience less about the hassle and more about the holiday for you - we provide comprehensive cover for your break at a competitive price. We've been awarded "Best Travel Insurance Provider" 12 years in a row at Globe Travel Awards.
We have over 30 trained insurance specialists, as well as an Insurance Support Page waiting to help you book the perfect cruise policy and answer any questions you may have.
Travel insurance and the FCDO
Holiday Extras now offers enhanced COVID-19 protect enabling you to travel to European countries where the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against "non-essential" travel, as long as the advice is against all but essential travel solely as a result of COVID-19. For more information, see our COVID-19 cover section of this page.
Tailored policies, for your personal needs
At Holiday Extras we have three levels of comprehensive cover available for you - our Bronze, Silver and Gold policies. For a vacation at sea, travel insurance suitable for your cruise is essential in order to cover costs including changes to your cruise schedule, being confined to your cabin and any missed port departures or unused prepaid shore activities. It's also important to cover medical costs, lost baggage and unforeseen cancellations.
Compare travel insurance cruise cover levels:
To help you decide which level of cover is right for you, our table below illustrates examples of cover available at our Bronze, Silver or Gold Cruise levels. Be sure to read through the policy documents for more comprehensive cover details.
|Emergency medical and repatriation expenses|
|Curtailment and loss of holiday|
|Increased personal baggage limits|
|Passport and other documents|
|Baggage Delay (outward journey)|
|Legal costs and expenses|
|End supplier failure|
*Or as specified on your schedule
Travel Insurance with COVID-19 cover
While travel restrictions are beginning to lift, we understand that this is still an unpredictable time. That's why at Holiday Extras, we offer travel insurance that provides COVID-19 cover on our Bronze, Silver and Gold policies as standard for specific events. As such, you are insured for the following:
- If the insured, their relative, a member of their household or travelling companion contract COVID-19 within 14 days of the booked departure date.
- If the insured is denied boarding on pre-booked outward travel due to contracting COVID-19 following a medically approved test or having a confirmed temperature above 38.C.
- Death of a relative or member of the insured's household as a result of COVID-19.
- Hospitalisation of a relative or member of insured's household requiring treatment with mechanical ventilation as a result of COVID-19.
Medical & Repatriation Expenses:
- Cover for medical costs for any treatment and associated expenses required abroad as a result of contracting COVID-19 following a medically approved test (up to £15m), as long as they have not travelled against the advice of the FCDO*.
Enhanced COVID-19 protect
If you're looking for an increased level of cover, you can add our optional enhanced COVID-19 protect to your policy, including cover for:
- Cover if customers wish to travel against the advice of the FCDO providing the advice is against "all but essential travel" solely as a result of COVID-19 and no other factors. Only applicable for holidays within Europe.
- Cover for cancellation as a result of being contacted by NHS Test & Trace due to coming into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 and needing to self isolate, preventing the insured from making the outward journey.
- Cancellation as a result of experiencing an adverse reaction to the COVID-19 vaccine within 14 days of departure resulting in the insured being unfit to travel as confirmed by a medical practitioner.
- The insured being unable to complete their COVID-19 vaccination course before the scheduled departure date as a result of unforeseen illness.
*Unless they have paid the Enhanced COVID-19 Cover premium.
Cruise travel insurance for pre-existing medical conditions
At Holiday Extras we can cover a wide range of pre-existing medical conditions with our travel insurance packages and a policy for your cruise is no exception. We cover the majority of pre-existing medical conditions, and ALL medical conditions will be considered. When booking, you will be guided through the process of getting declaring any medical conditions you may have when you call our customer service team, or you can declare the conditions of each individual named on the policy when you buy online via our website. The process is quick and simple both online and via our contact centre. See below for more information.
Booking travel insurance
Choosing the right level of cover is straightforward and making a booking with Holiday Extras is just as quick and easy.
Location: Where are you travelling to?
Dates: When will you be going, and for how long?
Money: The total cost of your holiday (including travel)
Health: Do you have any pre-existing medical conditions that you need to add to your policy?
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance Reviews
If you buy travel insurance for your next cruising adventure with Holiday Extras you can be assured of comprehensive cover from an Award-Winning Provider, with over 30 years experience of selling travel insurance. See what some of our cruise partner companies think of our service!
"Holiday Extras offer our guests cruise specific policies that give them peace of mind and confidence when booking their cruise"
"With Holiday Extra's dedicated Cruise insurance policy, our customers are able to be totally confident that they have high-quality insurance cover in place specifically designed for a cruise holiday at sea"
We have been rated Excellent by Trustpilot. Check out our Holiday Extras Trustpilot reviews below.
Top cruising destinations
- Antarctica- Home to glacial cliffs and icebergs, Antarctica is completely unique, and beautiful to view from onboard your cruise ship.
- Baltic Sea- You'll have the chance to visit a diverse range of history-steeped Scandinavian cities and can even venture to St. Petersburg.
- Hawaiian Islands- For stunning sunshine and green volcanic shorelines, the Hawaiian Islands are perfect. Aloha.
- Mediterranean- Whether you'd rather cruise the French Riviera or the Spanish Costa del Sol, a Mediterranean cruise will refresh and invigorate you.
- South Pacific- Marvel at amazing scenery and meet the exotic wildlife on shore excursions in Australia and New Zealand.
- Caribbean- From tropical rainforests and beautiful beaches to historic sites and idyllic coastal resorts, the islands of the Caribbean make the perfect place for a cruiser seeking adventure, luxury and culture.
Top tips for a successful holiday
- Plan your choice of cruise carefully - Cruises can be perfect for all manner of occasions, and your requirements will be different depending on whether you are looking for a romantic escape, a holiday with friends or a relaxing cruise break for the elderly.
- Prone to seasickness? - Choosing a central cabin in the lower regions of the ship reduces the noise and motion of the sea, lessening the chance of sea sickness.
- Plan your shore excursions in advance - Doing so will give you a better understanding of the areas that you visit, and will help you to stick within a budget.
- Study a map of the ship - Cruise liners are often huge. As soon as you get on board, or ideally in advance, familiarise yourself with the ship's layout.
- Read our blogs - If you would like to know how to make the most out of your cruise travels then you can visit our HX blog for tips, including the best cruise holidays or the perfect family-friendly cruise holiday.
Further Cruising Information
If you are looking forward to your next cruising adventure and are preparing to step aboard, then please visit a few of our helpful cruise guides listed below - set up to provide you with tips on everything from travelling vaccinations for your next holiday, to the appropriate documentation you may need to travel with!
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.