Faster and smarter in the app... Open app

Cruises and Visas

Visa requirements can be complicated for cruises, especially if you're not familiar with visa applications or your cruise's route. You should be fully aware of the visa requirements for all the countries that you're visiting before travel, although most cruise companies should flag up any visa requirements and help you to apply for these.

What travel documents do I need to go on a cruise?

You should have a British Citizen passport that is valid for more than six months after the duration of your cruise. You should also have at least two blank pages in the back of your passport.

Some countries require that you take a photocopy of your passport as well as the original document. You'll need to apply for an ETSA or Electronic Authorisation to visit the USA or Canada, which is visa-free authorisation to enter a country for tourism purposes. Many cruise lines have visa partners who can make applications for you if there are any additional visas that you need for the countries that you are visiting.

You should also ensure that you've taken out proper cruise travel insurance for your trip to ensure that you're protected against unforeseen circumstances such as medical emergencies, cancellations and passport loss.

Do you need an ETSA for a Caribbean cruise?

You don't need a visa or ETSA to go on a Caribbean cruise as you can enter visa-free. Instead, you'll only need your passport. However, if you're going to be in transit or setting off from a US port, you must apply for an ETSA for entry to the United States.

Knowing the correct visa requirements is important for an enjoyable and stress-free holiday. You should always contact your cruise provider if you're unsure of any of the requirements.

Related content.

If you found the tips and insights into cruising useful, then check out our other helpful articles on this topic.

Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited, registered office address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Hythe, Kent CT21 4JF.

Holiday Extras Cover Limited is an insurance intermediary authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 828848. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register

Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited. The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with company number 13436330 and whose registered office address is 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, United Kingdom, EC3M 5BN.

Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 955859. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register