Loading, please wait...
Travel Insurance with Heart Conditions
The British Heart Foundation estimates that there are upwards of seven million people in the UK living with a heart condition. At Holiday Extras, we believe that heart conditions shouldn't stop you from experiencing the joy of travelling. With travel insurance policies tailored to suit those with pre-existing medical conditions, we provide medical cover against unforeseen incidents that could impact your holiday.
Why choose Holiday Extras?
- - Over 25 years experience selling travel insurance.
- - Voted best insurance provider 12 years running.
- - Tailored policies to suit your personal requirements.
- - Policies with no excess available.
- - UK-based contact centre and 24/7 helpline.
- - All medical conditions considered.
Voted best Insurance provider 12 years in a row, we've got you covered
Our travel insurance for those with a heart condition offers protection with both our single trip and annual travel policies, as well as cruise medical cover. Included, are benefits of up to £5,000 if your holiday needs to be cancelled, up to £2,000 if your luggage is lost, and up to £10 million in medical expenses. Cover is available for travel in the UK, Europe and worldwide. We cover the majority pre-existing medical conditions and all medical conditions will be considered. This includes all heart conditions as well as travel insurance after a heart attack.
Compare cover levels for travel insurance with heart conditions
How do I declare my heart condition?
Declaring your pre-existing medical condition is quick and easy. Simply enter your travel details at the top of this page, and you'll be directed to our medical screening process. You'll then be asked a series of questions regarding your condition. Answer these honestly, as it will not only help us to give you the most suitable policy for your individual needs, but is also imperative, should you need to make a claim. Rest assured, the information you provide will be treated with the utmost care and confidentiality.
Here are some examples of the questions you may be asked during your health screening. It may be worth having any medical information close to hand to further aid the screening process.
- Have you ever had a heart bypass, an angioplasty or a coronary stent?
- Have you ever been a smoker?
- How long ago was your most recent procedure?
- How many heart attacks (if any) have you had in total?
- Have you EVER had any chest pain or chest tightness since your last procedure?
- Are you waiting to see a specialist about new symptoms? Or awaiting any tests, results or surgery?
- Can you always walk 200 metres on the flat with no chest pain or tightness or breathlessness?
- Do you ever have any chest pain or tightness or breathlessness at rest?
- Have you been advised to take medication for high blood pressure?
- Have you been advised to take medication to lower your cholesterol?
- Are you currently taking any medication for your heart condition?
Can you fly with a heart condition?
Most people with a stable heart condition can fly without any problems or without needed any special assistance. However, it's worth checking with your doctor before you depart to see if you will need any prior preparation before flying. Regardless of the current state of your heart condition, it's recommended that you let your airline know ahead of time of your condition, so that they are aware and can make any arrangements dependent on your requirements.
Tips for travelling with a heart condition
Consult your doctor before travelling
The first thing you should do before travelling with a pre-existing medical condition is book an appointment with your GP. They will be able to give you advice on several topics, including how to prepare for travelling, as well as dealing with your condition while actually away. They will also be able to provide you with a medical note documenting your condition and the names and doses of any medication you are currently taking. This could prove invaluable if you need to secure additional medication while away. You may want to request a copy of your electrocardiogram (ECG) to take with you too, should a specialist need to see it while abroad.
Do your own research
Carry emergency contact information
As well as carrying emergency contact numbers for your GP and family, it's worth noting down in advance and medical numbers relating to the country you're visiting.
Pack enough medication for your entire trip
Make sure you have enough medication for your trip, with a little extra. This will eliminate being short on medication in the event of delay or cancellations. As well as bringing a list of your medications provided by your doctor, it might be worth researching the local names of the medications and information on where to secure a prescription, should you need more medication.
Be mindful of dietary requirements
Although often difficult while in a foreign country, if you are on a specific diet for your heart condition at home, try to follow your diet as closely as possible while away. Certain foods can exacerbate symptoms, and depending on where you're travelling too, salt levels in food can be extremely high in some instances.
- Find more information about cover for your condition below:
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Fibromyalgia Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- HIV Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lung Cancer Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Myeloma Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with medical conditions:
- Travel Insurance Child with Medical Conditions
- Travel Insurance for Child with Autism
- Travel Insurance for Child with Cystic Fibrosis
- Travel Insurance for Child with Heart Conditions
- Travelling with a Disabled Child
- Child Travelling with Medication
- Additional information:
- Do you have to declare medical conditions for travel insurance?
- Are mental health conditions classed as a pre-existing medical condition?
- What is classed as a pre-existing medical condition?
- What medical conditions can stop me from flying?
- Travelling with Arthritis
- Travelling with Diabetes
- Travelling with Medication
- Guide to Flying with Back Pain
- Which countries have the best medical care?
- Deep Vein Thrombosis when Travelling
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travel vaccinations:
- Travel Vaccinations
- BCG Tuberculosis Vaccine
- Cholera Vaccine
- Hepatitis A Vaccine
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine
- Meningitis Vaccine
- Polio Tetanus and Diphtheria Vaccine
- Rabies Vaccine
- Typhoid Vaccine
- Yellow Fever Vaccine
- Upgrade your policy with extra cover to suit how you like to travel:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Our policies:
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Coach Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Cheap Travel Insurance Europe
- Cheap Travel Insurance Worldwide
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Single-Trip Family Travel Insurance
- Annual Family Travel Insurance
- Over 50's Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 75's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Over 85's Travel Insurance
- Student travel:
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Nomad Travel Insurance
- School Trip Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Sports cover:
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Camping Travel Insurance
- Football Travel Insurance
- Horse Riding Travel Insurance
- Hiking Travel Insurance
- Kayaking Travel Insurance
- Kitesurfing Travel Insurance
- Motorcycle Travel Insurance
- Mountain Biking Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Travel Insurance
- Safari Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba Diving Travel Insurance
- Ski Travel Insurance
- Snowboarding Travel Insurance
- Surfing Travel Insurance
- Trekking Travel Insurance
- Windsurfing Travel Insurance
- Further information:
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Brexit and Travel
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- EHIC Information
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- Group Travel Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- Independent Travel Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Travel insurance advice for your destination:
- European Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- Costa Rica
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Hong Kong
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- Visa Waiver Program
- B1 visa
- B2 visa
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.