Jump straight into you African adventure with a travel insurance Africa policy.
A diverse and awe-inspiring continent, Africa is the perfect destination for intrepid adventurers and first-time travellers alike. With preparation and a reliable travel insurance policy, there's nothing stopping you from having the trip of a lifetime.
Our worldwide travel insurance policies are designed to give reliable cover at an affordable rate. What's more, they're tailored to be the most suited to you and your trip.
Compare travel insurance Africa levels of cover
Our policies are available in both single trip and annual multi-trip, at Bronze, Silver and Gold levels.
|Emergency medical and repatriation expenses|
|Curtailment and loss of holiday|
|Passport and other documents|
|Baggage Delay (outward journey)|
|Legal costs and expenses|
|Scheduled airline failure|
|End supplier failure|
*Or as specified on your schedule
Do I need medical insurance for my Africa trip?
Much like other countries outside of the UK, healthcare in Africa is not free, even for citizens, and in many African countries, doctors expect payment in cash for treatment. Booking travel insurance with Holiday Extras, you can receive cover for up to £15 million for medical emergencies.
What if I have a pre-existing medical condition?
When you book, remember to let us know of any pre-existing medical conditions you may have, so we can tailor a suitable policy with these conditions in mind. It's important to note that, if you have not declared any pre-existing medical conditions when booking your policy, any subsequent claims may be invalidated by failing to do so.
What vaccinations do I need to travel to Africa?
As well as your routine vaccinations (MMR, Polio, Diptheria, Meningitis) you should also make sure to get yourself vaccinated against Hepatitis A and B as well as Tetanus, Typhoid and Rabies. Your doctor will be able to give you specific advice, and it's always wise to consult them about this, or any other questions or concerns you have have.
What if I need to take medication into Africa?
If you require medication bring plenty with you, esure you have enough for the duration of your trip. Even basic medicines like paracetamol can be difficult to find in some areas.
Do I need a visa to travel Africa?
The majority of tourist visas can be obtained at the border, however, entry requirements can differ from country to country. To avoid complications, make sure to do your research before hand. In some countries, visas can take up to a week to be approved and you will need to provide evidence of your plane tickets and hotel accommodation. Certain countries in the south don't require you to obtain a visa if you have a British passport.
For obtaining any kind of visa, your passport will have to be valid for at least six months from your planned date of departure. if you plan to take part in voluntary work during your stay in the country, then you will need a working holiday visa along with a travel insurance policy that covers you for working abroad. For more information, check out our working holiday insurance page.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.