Travel Insurance for Europe
Explore Europe and discover sun, stunning landscapes and remarkable cultural diversity. Before you set off, be sure to pack a Holiday Extras' holiday insurance policy to reduce any hassle when travelling. Once you've booked you'll benefit from a policy level of your choosing, which will offer reassuring cover tailored to your trip. If you are travelling with any medical conditions you will be comforted to know that we will consider all medical conditions and proudly offer cover for the majority of conditions, at excellent value. And if your trip includes extreme sports, like white water rafting or skiing in the Alps, we'll be able to arrange extra cover.
Cover for European travel with Holiday Extras
We've got two types of policies to choose from. You can book great value European travel insurance for a single trip of up to 365 days with varying levels of cover to suit your budget. If you plan to travel more than twice this year, you may want to look at our our annual travel insurance policy. Depending on what you plan to do on your holidays, this can be an incredibly cost effective option, providing the same level of cover as a Single Trip but for an unlimited amount of trips across 12 months. Just make sure each trip does not exceed each cover level's maximum trip limit.
Do I still need travel insurance if I have an EHIC card?
A European health insurance card (or EHIC card) is a provision available to all citizens of participating European countries that entitles you to the same level of state provided medical care as a person living in the country you're visiting.
While it is indeed very helpful to have an EHIC card, it may not always provide as much cover as a specific European travel insurance policy. This is because the exact medical cover you can expect to receive with an EHIC card will vary from country to country, and in many cases you will still be expected to pay at least part of the medical bill. Under and EHIC card you are not insured for repatriation back to your home country should the need arise, and repatriation can be very costly.
What is classed as European travel?
Before you go ahead and book your European travel insurance policy, it's always wise to find out if the destination is classed as within Europe or not. While it may be obvious that countries like France, Germany and Spain all come under European cover, for countries like Greece, Russia and Turkey, the categorisation can vary from insurer to insurer. If you are unsure as to whether your holiday destination is classed as within Europe or not, simply fill out the quote form at the top of the page, entering the destination to be given an accurate quote.
Lower rates for travel to Europe
With Holiday Extras, you can take advantage of lower costs for travel to European countries, and you'll still receive high levels of protection from unforeseen events. You can choose from two levels of cover depending on your destination: Europe, either including or excluding Greece, Spain, Cyprus, Malta and Turkey. The higher costs for the latter policy are still great value, and the increased premium reflects the higher cost of medical expenses in those countries.
Top European activities
- Enjoy the spectacular scenery like never before - by horse! Our favourite horse riding destination is Italy, where you can pass by ancient villages, along rugged mountain lanes and beside beautiful vineyards.
- Europe is cycle crazy, so pedal from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean Coast in France, or tackle the scenic flats of the Netherlands.
- Leave the beaten track and spot the Northern Lights in Finland. You can hike through the wilderness or stay in a relaxing village near the Russian border to experience one of the most wondrous sights known to man.
Which city are you travelling to?
Looking for more specific travel and insurance information on a particular european city? Take a look at our in-depth city guides:
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.