Medical travel insurance
Book comprehensive, tailored travel insurance with ALL medical conditions considered.
Finding suitable travel insurance with pre existing medical conditions isn't necessarily the hard part. It's finding a provider that won't compromise on comprehensive cover and a tailored policy for your needs. At Holiday Extras, we cover the majority of pre-existing medical conditions, and all medical conditions will be considered.
Book on or offline - We have over 30 trained insurance specialists available by phone or on livechat via our Insurance Support Page waiting to answer any questions you may have. They'll also be able to talk you through the entire booking process.
If you have an further enquiries, the Holiday Extras' Hassle-free Holiday Hub, is your one-stop shop for all-things travel related.
What is travel insurance with pre-existing medical conditions?
A precise definition of a 'pre-existing medical condition' can vary. A helpful explanation of a pre-existing medical condition is that it's any illness, sickness, disease, injury, or other physical or mental ailment or condition that, with acceptable medical certainty, existed at the time of your application for travel insurance or during a specific number of years prior to the date of your application. You are okay to travel with a medical condition as long as you are fit to travel and undertake your planned journey and it has been declared when you are buying insurance.
When purchasing medical travel insurance, a 'pre-existing medical condition' will usually refer to any kind of medical condition (or symptoms) for which medical advice, diagnosis or treatment has been given or recommended by someone of the medical practitioner at any time prior to the point of departure for your chosen trip. You would not qualify for cover if you've been advised not to travel if you had consulted your doctor. For more information on our policies and exactly what's included in your cover, please consult our policy wording page.
Why choose Holiday Extras?
- - Over 40 years experience selling travel insurance.
- - Voted best insurance provider 14 years running.
- - Tailored policies to suit your personal requirements.
- - UK-based call center and 24/7 livechat.
- - Medical insurance specialists.
Compare medical travel insurance policy cover levels
How to book medical travel insurance
After you have filled in your travel details in the booking form at the top of this page, we will ask you a brief series of questions to determine whether your insurance will be with medical conditions or not.
These questions will include:
- Has your (or anyone travelling with you) doctor altered your regular prescribed medication in the last 3 months?
- In the last 2 years have you (or anyone travelling with you) been treated for any medical condition which has been deemed or referred to as a serious or re-occurring medical condition?
- In the last 2 years have you (or anyone travelling with you) been asked to take regular prescribed medication, or referred to a specialist or consultant at a hospital for tests, diagnosis or treatment?
- Are you (or anyone travelling with you) waiting for any tests, treatment or a non-routine hospital appointment?
If you answer yes to any of the above questions, this will indicate that somebody on the policy has a medical condition that will need to be declared. Yourself or someone within your policy will then need to undertake the screening process which is specifically designed for customers with a pre-existing medical condition.
This discreet and confidential screening process has been designed to ensure you get cover that's tailored to your requirements - giving you peace of mind when travelling. If you will be travelling with medication check out our page full of helpful tips and advice. If you're travelling with diabetes we also have handy information for that too.
What could be considered a pre-existing condition?
Various conditions could be considered a pre-existing medical condition and would need to be declared on your medical travel insurance. Some examples include:
Travel Insurance with COVID-19 cover
While travel restrictions have largely lifted, we understand that this is still an unpredictable time. That's why at Holiday Extras, we offer travel insurance that provides COVID-19 cover on our Bronze, Silver and Gold policies as standard for specific events. As such, you are insured for the following:
- If the insured, their relative, a member of their household or travelling companion contract COVID-19 within 14 days of the booked departure date.
- If the insured is denied boarding on pre-booked outward travel due to contracting COVID-19 following a medically approved test or having a confirmed temperature above 38.C.
- Death of a relative or member of the insured's household as a result of COVID-19.
- Hospitalisation of a relative or member of insured's household requiring treatment with mechanical ventilation as a result of COVID-19.
Medical & Repatriation Expenses:
- Cover for medical costs for any treatment and associated expenses required abroad as a result of contracting COVID-19 following a medically approved test (up to £15m), as long as they have not travelled against the advice of the FCDO*.
- Cover for cancellation as a result of being contacted by NHS Test & Trace due to coming into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 and needing to self isolate, preventing the insured from making the outward journey.
- Cancellation as a result of experiencing an adverse reaction to the COVID-19 vaccine within 14 days of departure resulting in the insured being unfit to travel as confirmed by a medical practitioner.
- The insured being unable to complete their COVID-19 vaccination course before the scheduled departure date as a result of unforeseen illness.
What is the Money Helper travel insurance directory?
Holiday Extras features on the Money Helper travel insurance directory, which the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) has confirmed meets its criteria for addition to the 'medical cover firm directory'. For more more information can be found on the Money Helper website here.
Contact details for Money Helper:
Telephone: 0800 138 7777 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Typetalk: 18001 0800 915 4622 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with company number 13436330 and whose registered office address is 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, United Kingdom, EC3M 5BN. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 955859. You can check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting; register.fca.org.uk or by contacting the Financial Conduct Authority on 0800 111 6768.