Faster and smarter in the app... Download now

Car Hire Excess Insurance

Take to the road knowing you're protected

Hiring a car when travelling abroad allows you to take to the road at your own pace, and explore new lands with the freedom you just wouldn't get from using public transport. However, we're well aware that this can initially seem like a daunting task. Once you've secured your hire car, the last thing you want is, in the unfortunate event of an accident, to be left short. In this rare instance, we want to make sure you're as protected as possible. This is where car hire excess insurance comes in.

Car Hire Excess Insurance - Explained

What is "excess"?

You most likely would have come across the term 'excess' when taking out car insurance on your own personal vehicle. In simple terms, the 'excess' is the voluntary amount you would have to pay your rental company if your car is damaged or stolen.

What is Car Hire Excess Insurance?

Car Hire Excess Insurance is an additional insurance coverage that can be added to general rental car insurance. This type of cover will insure you against the aforementioned excess you'd be liable to pay should you get into an accident, or if your vehicle is stolen. In short, you'll be covered against these excess charges.

How does Car Hire Excess Insurance work?

For example: If you hire a car (available with Holiday Extras here) more often than not the vehicle itself will come with standard insurance, known as a collision damage waiver. In most cases the insurance provider will have written into the clause a voluntary excess that you will have to pay up front, should the vehicle become damaged or stolen.

In cases like this, you could be paying into the hundreds of pounds for something as minor as a scratch.

So, say you had a voluntary excess of £500, even with something as minor as a scratch, you'd have to pay that amount before anything else was covered. That's where car hire excess insurance comes in. Taking out car hire excess gives you that all too important peace of mind that you'll be protected from these excess charges, should something untoward happen to the hired vehicle while it's in your possession.

What am I covered for?

Excess/Deposit Reimbursement

We offer reimbursement up to £7,500, with a £10,000 limit for the policy period.

Key replacement

If your car keys are lost, stolen, or damaged during your trip, our policy offers cover up to £500 for key replacement up to £2000 within the policy period. Additionally there's £200 to cover any lockout expenses.

Personal Possessions

We cover you for up to £300 for personal possessions. This includes £150 for single item, pair or sets, and £50 for tobacco, alcohol and fragrances.

Accidental misfuelling

If you accidentally fill up your rental car with the wrong fuel, we pay up to £500 for any misfuelling, up to £1000 within the policy period.

Rental vehicle breakdown recovery

We cover the excess costs of your breakdown cover up to £500.

UK cover available

If you're planning on a staycation, our car hire excess cover is available in the UK as well as worldwide, just select our European cover.

Overview of cover

Limit (up to)
Excess / Deposit Reimbursement
£7,500 (£10,000 within the policy period)
Misfuelling cover
£500 (£1,000 within the policy period)
Personal possessions
- Single item, pair or set
- Tobacco, alcohol, fragrances
Rental car key cover
- Lost, stolen or damaged keys
- Lock out

£500 (£2000 within the policy period)
Rental vehicle breakdown recovery

Making a claim

To make a claim on your car hire insurance excess cover policy, you will need to provide all receipts, invoices, reports and other documentary evidence we may require depending on your claim, but overall the process is simple and straight-forward. Here's some examples what you might need to make a claim:

  • Your original policy schedule, vehicle rental agreement and travel documents showing the dates and times of travel
  • Original bills or invoices you are asked to pay
  • Original receipts and accounts for any out-of-pocket expenses you have to pay
  • A copy of the driving license of the person driving the insured vehicle at the time of the accident.

Please refer to the policy wording to check if your circumstances are covered and notify our Claims team:

Phone: 01403 286542

Email: [email protected]

A claim form will be sent to you, either by post or by email. Alternatively, you can download one from

Please keep copies of everything you send to us, we would also recommend using registered post.

If you have any further enquiries/amendements/cancellations regarding your policy please fill out the Car Hire Excess Cover Contact Form, following the intructions provided.

Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.

Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited

Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.

The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.