Car Hire Excess Insurance
Take to the road knowing you're protected
Hiring a car when travelling abroad allows you to take to the road at your own pace, and explore new lands with the freedom you just wouldn't get from using public transport. However, we're well aware that this can initially seem like a daunting task. Once you've secured your hire car, the last thing you want is, in the unfortunate event of an accident, to be left short. In this rare instance, we want to make sure you're as protected as possible. This is where car hire excess insurance comes in.
Car Hire Excess Insurance - Explained
What is "excess"?
You most likely would have come across the term 'excess' when taking out car insurance on your own personal vehicle. In simple terms, the 'excess' is the voluntary amount you would have to pay your rental company if your car is damaged or stolen.
What is Car Hire Excess Insurance?
Car Hire Excess Insurance is an additional insurance coverage that can be added to general rental car insurance. This type of cover will insure you against the aforementioned excess you'd be liable to pay should you get into an accident, or if your vehicle is stolen. In short, you'll be covered against these excess charges.
How does Car Hire Excess Insurance work?
For example: If you hire a car (available with Holiday Extras here) more often than not the vehicle itself will come with standard insurance, known as a collision damage waiver. In most cases the insurance provider will have written into the clause a voluntary excess that you will have to pay up front, should the vehicle become damaged or stolen.
In cases like this, you could be paying into the hundreds of pounds for something as minor as a scratch.
So, say you had a voluntary excess of £500, even with something as minor as a scratch, you'd have to pay that amount before anything else was covered. That's where car hire excess insurance comes in. Taking out car hire excess gives you that all too important peace of mind that you'll be protected from these excess charges, should something untoward happen to the hired vehicle while it's in your possession.
What am I covered for?
We offer reimbursement up to £7,500, with a £10,000 limit for the policy period.
If your car keys are lost, stolen, or damaged during your trip, our policy offers cover up to £500 for key replacement up to £2000 within the policy period. Additionally there's £200 to cover any lockout expenses.
We cover you for up to £300 for personal possessions. This includes £150 for single item, pair or sets, and £50 for tobacco, alcohol and fragrances.
If you accidentally fill up your rental car with the wrong fuel, we pay up to £500 for any misfuelling, up to £1000 within the policy period.
Rental vehicle breakdown recovery
We cover the excess costs of your breakdown cover up to £500.
UK cover available
If you're planning on a staycation, our car hire excess cover is available in the UK as well as worldwide, just select our European cover.
Overview of cover
|Excess / Deposit Reimbursement|
- Single item, pair or set
- Tobacco, alcohol, fragrances
|Rental car key cover
- Lost, stolen or damaged keys
- Lock out
£500 (£2000 within the policy period)
|Rental vehicle breakdown recovery|
Making a claim
To make a claim on your car hire insurance excess cover policy, you will need to provide all receipts, invoices, reports and other documentary evidence we may require depending on your claim, but overall the process is simple and straight-forward. Here's some examples what you might need to make a claim:
- Your original policy schedule, vehicle rental agreement and travel documents showing the dates and times of travel
- Original bills or invoices you are asked to pay
- Original receipts and accounts for any out-of-pocket expenses you have to pay
- A copy of the driving license of the person driving the insured vehicle at the time of the accident.
Please refer to the policy wording to check if your circumstances are covered and notify our Claims team:
Phone: 01403 286542
Email: [email protected]
A claim form will be sent to you, either by post or by email. Alternatively, you can download one from www.ergotravelinsurance.co.uk/travel-insurance/claims.
Please keep copies of everything you send to us, we would also recommend using registered post.
If you have any further enquiries/amendements/cancellations regarding your policy please fill out the Car Hire Excess Cover Contact Form, following the intructions provided.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848, Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address, Ashford road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is registered in Ireland No. 306045. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac’s Registered Office is First Floor, Rineanna House, Shannon Free Zone, Shannon, County Clare, Republic of Ireland. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is authorised and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. The nature and extent of consumer protections may differ from those for firms based in the UK. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website, our FRN is 203320.