Cyprus Travel Insurance
Though still a mediterranean idyll, remnants of Cyprus' turbulent past are evident, with the remaining division between North and South. With such a unique political situation, it can be a potentially confusing job for the would-be traveller to find valid travel insurance. Does European travel insurance cover Cyprus, or should you take out something entirely different?
Travel Insurance for South Cyprus
As the southern Greek portion of Cyprus is officially recognised as part of the European union, you'll find that most European travel insurance policies you take out with any reputable insurer should cover for travelling to southern Cyprus. This does mean however, that you will only be covered for travelling in southern Cyprus under most European travel insurance policies, as the northern portion of the country is not considered part of Europe.
Travel Insurance for North Cyprus
A trip to the Turkish populated North of Cyprus will usually require an altogether different kind of travel insurance policy. Although recognised by the international community as being part of the Republic of Cyprus, this doesn't mean that a standard European travel insurance policy will always cover you. This will depend largely on the insurer.
With Holiday Extras, both northern and southern Cyprus are covered under one European travel insurance policy. You will however need to take out a specific kind of european travel insurance policy that includes cover for Spain, Cyprus, Malta, Turkey and Greece. If you are unsure about how to do this, the best way to receive an accurate quote is to simply specify Cyprus as the travel destination in the booking engine.
EHIC Card in Cyprus
Although having a valid European Health insurance card can be a very useful thing if you remember to bring it, there are some points you should be aware of when using the card in Cyprus.
- Using your European Health insurance card in Cyprus will give you access to public health care usually at a reduced cost (in other words, you could still end up footing a huge medical bill should you need to make use of emergency services)
- If you decide to cross over to the north or Cyprus, your EHIC card will be completely useless as the northern portion of the island is not considered part of the EU. You should be sure to have in place a valid travel insurance policy for north Cyprus before setting off.
Holiday Extras travel insurance to Cyprus
Holiday Extras provide a range of policy options when it comes to holidaying in Cyprus. You will of course need to be a UK resident and have declared any pre-existing medical conditions for your cover to be valid.
|Emergency medical and repatriation expenses|
|Curtailment and loss of holiday|
|Passport and other documents|
|Baggage Delay (outward journey)|
|Legal costs and expenses|
|Scheduled airline failure|
|End supplier failure|
*Or as specified on your schedule
Local Laws and Customs
The capital of Nicosia remains divided to this day and as such, be aware that in certain areas close to military facilities it may not be possible to take pictures.
Greeting people - In most cases, it's customary to shake hands, smile and maintain direct eye contact throughout the greeting, though many Turkish Cypriots lower their eyes during the greeting as a sign of respect. Very religious Muslims may refuse to shake hands with women, though this is very rare.
During Ramadan, all Muslims must fast from dawn till dusk. Although as an holiday maker or expatriat you aren't required to fast as well, out of respect for the local custom, you are advised not to eat, drink, smoke or chew gum in public.
Popular foods in Cyprus
With all the variety, the best way to enjoy Cypriot food is by ordering a mezze. This way you can sample a large selection of local dishes.
Souvlaki Kebabs - Small chunks of tender meat rotisserie roasted over hot coals, traditionally served with warm pitta bread, salad and a squeeze of lemon. You could quite happily live off food like this!
Dolmas - Originating from the Turkish north, these sumptous little parcels of meat, herbs, rice and vegetables warpped in vine leaves have long been an essential part of the island's cuisine. This national dish comes in many varieties, served in different ways.
Baklava - This centuries old Turkish wonder of pistachios, walnuts, philo pastry and honey is a particular favourite amongst islander, who've added their own Cypriot twist to the legendary dessert.
Visit our HX blog for the top 5 destinations for adventure holidays and all things travel!
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848, Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address, Ashford road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is registered in Ireland No. 306045. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac’s Registered Office is First Floor, Rineanna House, Shannon Free Zone, Shannon, County Clare, Republic of Ireland. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is authorised and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. The nature and extent of consumer protections may differ from those for firms based in the UK. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website, our FRN is 203320.