Loading, please wait...
Get comprehensive travel insurance for your next trip to Europe, with policies starting from just *
What is the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)?
The EHIC was formerly known as the E111 form. Introduced to provide travellers with the same medical treatment received by local residents, either for free or at a reduced cost. Anyone covered by the statuary social scheme — made up of EEA countries and Switzerland — is entitled to receive medical care. Therefore, should an incident occur on your travels and you require medical attention, you won't necessarily need to return home.
It's important to understand your EHIC entitlement and why you may still need a holiday insurance policy too.
Cover provided by your EHIC
Should you have an accident and require immediate medical attention, treatments you receive may be covered by the EHIC. This does include medical conditions and pregnancy, providing you aren't travelling specifically for treatment or to give birth. If labour occurs unexpectedly then of course you will receive medical care and the EHIC will cover any treatment for mother and baby. The same applies to any emergency treatment required for your existing condition.
Will I have to pay for any medical treatment?
This varies from country to country. In some countries, like the UK, medical treatment is free. However, in other participating countries you might have to pay for treatment up front or contribute a sum - also know as a co-payment. Retain all paperwork regarding medical treatment you receive, you may be able to claim your money back upon return to the UK.
It is also important to remember that the level of care varies from country to country also.
What does the EHIC not cover?
You need to know what your EHIC will not cover you for so additional costs don't come as too much of a shock. The good news is, if you have secured a travel insurance policy in addition to your EHIC - you are covered for everything listed below and more!
1. Private medical cover
If there's no state healthcare available, your EHIC won't cover the costs of private hospitals, leaving you stung with high costs. By adding travel insurance, you'll be able to avoid this, and not have to worry about which kind of hospital you're going to.
2. Mountain rescue
If you're skiing and the worst happens, the EHIC won't cover mountain rescue costs.
3. Getting you home
In an emergency, you won't be covered for the costs of getting you home safely.
4. Theft, lost luggage and hijacking
A good travel insurance policy is vital for covering you under such circumstances.
A strong team on hand to provide support when you need it most: +44 (0) 203 824 0653.
How do I apply or renew my EHIC?
Applying for your EHIC is quick and simple, it is also absolutely free. You should not have to pay for it, so be sure to use the official website here to renew and apply for your EHIC. Do not trust sites promising a faster service for a fee.
† If you need to seek medical attention whilst abroad, please ensure that you contact the 24-hour Emergency Assistance Service for help and advice before treatment, where possible, full details can be found within the policy wording.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.