Loading, please wait...
Travel Insurance for New Zealand
Get a quote online for New Zealand travel insurance from only *
It would be unwise to travel to the other side of the world without some type of precaution in place. Holiday Extras travel insurance policies provide just that, serving as a valuable measure to cover for things beyond your control; in the event of cancellation, if you lose your luggage and for medical emergencies.
Since the Māori migration of the 14th century, countless travellers have fallen for the wild, unadulterated natural beauty of New Zealand. Its vast, rugged landscapes and rich cultural heritage affirms New Zealand's position as a country that invokes awe and intoxicates the imagination of every traveller. Though you may be eager to begin your journey through this amazing country, you mustn't forget to have a reliable travel insurance policy in place.
After you've booked your long-haul flights, accomodation and pre-booked tours, settling for a less-than-average policy would be selling yourself short. We offer 100+ sports and activities included as standard, or depending on your plans you have the option to add extra cover to your policy. Whether its bungee jumping from the Kawarau bridge, or hiking through the filming locations of The Lord of the Rings, you can be sure to find a policy that you can tailor towards your holiday.
Why Holiday Extras can provide the best travel insurance for you
- We offer policies without excess
- We offer single trip policies without any minimum or upper age limits**
- We offer a 14-day cooling off period if you need to cancel your policy
Buying a cheap travel insurance policy for ease might not sufficiently support you or reflect your personal situation. Should something unforeseeable and insurable happen and you needed to make a claim, you might not be financially covered if the right insurance isn't in place and your policy could be rendered invalid.
For 12 years running, Holiday Extras has won best insurance provider at the Globe Travel Awards, with our policies rated 'excellent' by Trustpilot. Pre-empt any hassle and get a quote online today. Relax, we have you covered.
Compare our levels of New Zealand travel insurance
We offer two types of policies (single and annual trip) with four levels of cover and some optional extras, so you can tailor your policy to meet precisely what you need. Choose whether you want bronze, silver, gold or platinum level cover and then decide whether you want any of our optional extras, such as winter sports or gadget cover.
When booking your travel insurance for your holiday to New Zealand online, under the 'travelling to' drop-down list, select Australia and New Zealand, rather than the all-encompassing worldwide option.
Levels of cover
Medical insurance for your New Zealand holiday
Staying healthy is something universally sought after, but unfortunately even when you're on holiday things don't always go to plan. Sometimes it helps to have a little protection in place as a precaution. Being over 11,000 miles away from the medical treatment prescribed by the NHS, it would be unwise to fly so far from home without a precaution in place. Under the UK reciprocal health agreement, British nationals are eligible to emergency health care in New Zealand on the same terms as citizens of New Zealand.
UK-New Zealand reciprocal health agreement
According to the FCO there are a few stipulations that Brits need to adhere to in order to recieve medical care:
- Show a valid UK passport when requested
- Are normally a full-time UK resident
- Are temporarily staying in New Zealand
- Medical care is deemed necessary by a medical practioner
- The medical emergency occured after arriving in New Zealand, or a declared pre-existing medical treatment has been exacerbated since arrival
The service offered includes:
- Care of the condition
- Acute and non-acute treatment for new conditions, or to prevent the condition becoming acute.
While this international agreement can cover you for some costs, to secure valuable cover for medical repatriation and personal accident insurance, a Holiday Extras travel insurance policy can be a good investment. With the ability to claim up to £10 million worth of medical cover should you need it, you can travel to New Zealand with confidence.
Securing a good travel insurance policy that sufficiently covers you for emergency medical treatment is paramount, especially if you have a pre-existing medical condition. Before you buy your travel insurance online you will go through a series of discreet questions in our medical screening process to determine if you have, or previously had, a medical condition which your policy would need to reflect. To find out more about travel insurance with medical conditions please visit our page here.
Travel insurance for activities in New Zealand
New Zealand has rightly been described as the adrenaline junkies' paradise, being famous for canyon swinging, skydiving, jet boat riding, scuba diving, and being the home of the world's first commercial bungee. Under our annual and single trip policies, you are covered for a range of activities. For activities that carry a higher risk, you may need to take out one of our three extra activities packs which can be added to your policy when making a quote.
Another valuable add-on we offer with all of our policies is cover for winter sports. With such a diverse climate, New Zealand's Southern Alps make for a great skiing location — being even larger than the Swiss, French and Austrian Alps combined. If you're planning a skiing holiday, it may be a good idea to add the winter sports add-on to your policy, which gives cover for things like piste closure and the loss, theft or damage of ski equpiment.
For more information under what's covered under our activities packs, see our full policy documents.
Working holiday travel insurance
For British citizens, New Zealand is a great place for a working holiday, as you are automatically allowed a working holiday visa for 23 months (provided you're under 30 years of age). So, if you're thirsting for a new challenge, then experiencing what it's like to live and work in this country may be just what you're looking for. Check out our working holiday page for more information on getting the most suitable cover for a working holiday.
New Zealand: at a glance
- What is the currency in New Zealand? New Zealand dollar (NZ$)
- How long is the flight from the UK to New Zealand? 23 hours 48 mins
- What is the capital city of New Zealand? Wellington
- What is the emergency number in New Zealand? '111'
- How many hours ahead is New Zealand? 12 hours ahead of BST (British Summer Time) but 13 hours ahead of GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)
- What language is spoken in New Zealand? Māori is the official language but since colonisation, English has become a defacto first language
Top 10 places to visit in New Zealand
- Hobbiton - For fans of the fantasy epic Lord of the Rings, a trip to Matamata to visit the set of Hobbiton is an absolute must!
- Rotorua - Described as the thermal wonderland of New Zealand, this unique landscape of fuming geysers and hot springs is a definite must see.
- Franz Josef Glacier - One of South Westland's major tourist attractions, visitors can walk right to the foot of the gigantic glacier. If you're feeling brave, it's only a short helicopter ride to the top, for a trek along the glacier edge.
- Tongariro National Park - New Zealand's first national park contains a diverse range of ecosystems, from tranquil lakes to active volcanoes.
- Abel Tasman National Park - A hiker's dream, this national park located on the northern tip of the country's southern island makes a great destination for some serious hiking! Make sure you check out our sports page first to see if the level of hike you're participating in is covered by our Extra Activity Packs.
- Sky Tower - Visit the Sky Tower, the tallest free standing structure in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Napier Art Deco - For the more arty traveller, there's the city of Napier with its striking, distinctive architecture. Every February, there is the art deco weekend, an event dedicated to vintage style and cars.
- Bay of Islands - A picturesque area containing over 144 islands with numerous secluded beaches and bays to enjoy. The place is bursting with things to do. There's the colourful marine life to discover, yachting, fishing or just plain lounging!
- Milford sound - Located at the northernmost end of the Fiordland National Park, Milford sound offers staggering coastal scenery, with a beautiful vista of towering mountains and dark waters.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd and Holiday Extras Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 and Holiday Extras Ltd 01693250 are registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.