Book Cruise Travel Insurance for pre-existing medical conditions
At Holiday Extras, we want to make sure your travel insurance policy fits your needs before your cruise leaves the port. If you're suffering with a medical condition, then finding a reasonably priced travel insurance policy for your cruise excursions isn't always easy. Whilst other insurance providers tend to hike up their premiums for cruise travellers with medical conditions, we like to do things a little differently. Instead, our medical insurance team tailor individual policies to suit your medical condition and how you like to travel.
To book your policy, fill in the quote form above. Once you complete a medical screening process declaring any pre-existing medical conditions you have, you'll receive a comprehensive quote.
What protection does the cruise insurance upgrade provide?
In addition to your medical cover, lost baggage and cancellation cover provided by your medical conditions travel insurance policy, cruise protection provides cover for the unique aspects of holiday, including:
- Missed port departure
- Cabin confinement - should an illness breakout onboard
- Unused excursions - so you don't have to face an empty pocket
- Cruise itinerary change
Travel Insurance and the FCDO
Our travel insurance coverage continues to be based on the latest FCDO advice, and is not impacted by the new traffic light system. Please always refer to the latest FCDO advice to ensure there are no advisories against travel which may affect your travel insurance policy.
Booking your cruise cover
You can book your cruise travel insurance with medical conditions policy online or by placing a call to our friendly team at the Kent-based call centre. It's free to call and our team will be happy to discuss our available cover levels and take you through the whole process with one simple payment.
Travel Insurance Reviews
If you buy a travel insurance policy with Holiday Extras, then you can be assured of comprehensive cover from an Award-Winning Provider. Check out what some of our cruise partners think of our service!
"Holiday Extras offer our guests cruise specific policies that give them peace of mind and confidence when booking their cruise"
"With Holiday Extra's dedicated Cruise insurance policy, our customers are able to be totally confident that they have high-quality insurance cover in place specifically designed for a cruise holiday at sea"
We have also been rated Excellent by Trustpilot. Please read a few of our travel insurance reviews below, to help you decide on the policy that's right for you!
What if I fall ill before my cruise holiday?
If you happen to fall ill prior to your cruise and therefore, unfit to travel, you might have to abandon your hopes of a cruise holiday and will need a policy offering cancellation cover. With some cruise lines, you could receive a refund from your cruise line if you notify them 75 days before you travel. Of course, an unexpected illness is almost impossible to predict! However, by obtaining a travel insurance policy with cancellation cover means your wallet won't take such a hit if you aren't able to go on your cruise due to illness.
What if I need medical treatment throughout my cruise trip?
Should you fall ill throughout your cruise and require emergency medical treatment beyond the cruise ships medical centre, you will be taken to the closest shore. If you do not have a suitable travel insurance policy then you could face some hefty charges depending on where the nearest port is, or if you require an air ambulance. For example, an air ambulance from the USA (east coast) back to the UK can cost in the region of £35k-£45k — something we can cover you for if it's deemed necessary. Protect your pocket by purchasing appropriate cover before you step aboard.
What if I choose not to declare all of my medical conditions?
If you choose not to declare some, or all, of your pre-existing conditions when booking your cruise travel insurance then you are invalidating your policy. If you require emergency medical treatment directly related to a pre-existing (diagnosed) condition that you withheld at the time of booking, your insurance will not cover your medical bills.
What if my health circumstances have changed since I bought my policy?
It is important that you notify Holiday Extras if anything happens between the date you bought the policy and the start of your trip that might mean that you have to claim on your policy. It's essential that you tell us, during this time, if you have visited a medical establishment because of any of the following:
- a change in your health
- a new diagnosis
- a new course of treatment
- a change in medication, or
- a referral from a GP to a clinic, hospital or specialist for tests
Can I buy travel insurance for a cruise if I'm over 80 years old?
Yes, if you're a senior over 80 years of age and are looking for travel insurance with pre-existing medical conditions then we have no upper age limit on our single trip cruise policy with a maximum duration of 180 days per trip. If you purchase an Annual policy there is a maximum age limit of 85 years, provided each trip has a maximum duration of 31 days.
Can I claim if I suffer a fall on the cruise ship?
Yes, depending on the circumstances your cruise policy would cover any medical expenses incurred following a fall, up to the sum insured on the policy. Similarly, we would cover legal expenses should you take legal action against the cruise line where the cruise line could be held liable for the injury (up to the level insured on the policy).
How to avoid slips or trips on your cruise
Everyone knows a slip or a trip is the last thing you'd want to happen when you're enjoying a relaxing cruise. These can lead to falls which result is nasty injuries. These kinds of accidents are unfortunately very common on cruises because the ship's at the mercy of the sea and weather, with no real solid ground and even experienced seamen have been caught off guard!
There are several risk factors involved which commonly include the following:
- The weather
- Surfaces with water or spilled drinks
- Inappropriate footwear, or casual footwear with smooth soles
- Unfamiliar surroundings
- Uneven floors
This being said cruising is extremely popular and cruise lines should have health and safety procedures in place onboard. These include lighting, flooring appropriate to the situation and necessary warning signs, handrails and ramps with grip-tape. Also, staff training and equipment maintenance is taken into account. If you are concerned about possible falls that may take place on your cruise you can always speak to your travel agent or get in touch with the cruise liner and let them know your concerns.
A few tips that you can follow to help you avoid the risk of slips and trips include the following:
- Wear sensible footwear, preferably shoes with traction
- Use handrails for balance in bathtubs and showers (where possible)
- Use the handrail when climbing stairs
- Look out for wet surfaces, especially around pools
- Be cautious when walking around dining areas for spills and obstacles (for instance chairs that haven't been tucked in)
Accidents can happen but if you're mindful and take care when moving around the ship you could be prepared for any potential hazards and avoid unnecessary injury!
Further Information on Cruising
If you are preparing to step aboard and would like some tips and advice before you leave then check out a few of our helpful guides listed below, providing tips on everything from travelling with a dietary requirement, to recommendations of the best cruises for adults!
- Find more information about cover for your condition below:
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Fibromyalgia Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- HIV Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lung Cancer Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Myeloma Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with medical conditions:
- Travel Insurance Child with Medical Conditions
- Travel Insurance for Child with Autism
- Travel Insurance for Child with Cystic Fibrosis
- Travel Insurance for Child with Heart Conditions
- Travelling with a Disabled Child
- Child Travelling with Medication
- Additional information:
- Do you have to declare medical conditions for travel insurance?
- Are mental health conditions classed as a pre-existing medical condition?
- What is classed as a pre-existing medical condition?
- What medical conditions can stop me from flying?
- Travelling with Arthritis
- Travelling with Diabetes
- Travelling with Medication
- Guide to Flying with Back Pain
- Which countries have the best medical care?
- Deep Vein Thrombosis when Travelling
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travel vaccinations:
- Travel Vaccinations
- BCG Tuberculosis Vaccine
- Cholera Vaccine
- Hepatitis A Vaccine
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine
- Meningitis Vaccine
- Polio Tetanus and Diphtheria Vaccine
- Rabies Vaccine
- Typhoid Vaccine
- Yellow Fever Vaccine
- Upgrade your policy with extra cover to suit how you like to travel:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Our policies:
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Coach Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Cheap Travel Insurance Europe
- Cheap Travel Insurance Worldwide
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Single-Trip Family Travel Insurance
- Annual Family Travel Insurance
- Over 50's Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 75's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Over 85's Travel Insurance
- Student travel:
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Nomad Travel Insurance
- School Trip Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Sports cover:
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Camping Travel Insurance
- Football Travel Insurance
- Horse Riding Travel Insurance
- Hiking Travel Insurance
- Kayaking Travel Insurance
- Kitesurfing Travel Insurance
- Motorcycle Travel Insurance
- Mountain Biking Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Travel Insurance
- Safari Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba Diving Travel Insurance
- Ski Travel Insurance
- Snowboarding Travel Insurance
- Surfing Travel Insurance
- Trekking Travel Insurance
- Windsurfing Travel Insurance
- Further information:
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Brexit and Travel
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- EHIC Information
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- Group Travel Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- Independent Travel Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Travel insurance advice for your destination:
- European Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- Costa Rica
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Hong Kong
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- Visa Waiver Program
- B1 visa
- B2 visa
Holiday Extras Cover Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848, Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address, Ashford road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is registered in Ireland No. 306045. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac’s Registered Office is First Floor, Rineanna House, Shannon Free Zone, Shannon, County Clare, Republic of Ireland. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is authorised and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. The nature and extent of consumer protections may differ from those for firms based in the UK. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website, our FRN is 203320.