Faster and smarter in the app... Open app

Book a trusted, tailored travel insurance policy for your UK holiday today

For most travellers, booking travel insurance isn't always a top priority, and this is appears to be even less so if your holiday is within in the UK. However, it is important that you still find a good travel insurance policy before you go, as it means you can travel with peace of mind knowing you have a policy behind you.

Why book travel insurance for the UK?

You may well be wondering whether it's actually worth taking out travel insurance for a domestic trip within the UK. After all, one of your biggest concerns (emergency medical assistance) is already covered under the NHS.

However, let's not forget all the other eventualities that a reliable travel insurance policy can protect you against. What if you've booked a flight to Edinburgh or Glasgow and find that your luggage goes missing? What if one of the kids gets sick and you have to change your flight times?

Having a policy that includes cancellation cover is an incredibly attractive perk and one that can protect your purse strings should you be unable to go on your holiday or trip due to circumstances beyond your control.

A reliable travel insurance policy valid for domestic travel will ensure you don't have to personally foot the bill. Many domestic travellers have benefitted from such aspects of their travel insurance policy as lost luggage and missed flight insurance.

It is worth noting that our UK travel insurance policies do not require medical screening, which will speed up the process for you, giving you a quick and easy quote.

How to book UK travel insurance

Our booking process is nice and straightforward, whether you complete the process online or via our call centre. We have over 30 trained insurance specialists, as well as an Insurance Support Page waiting to help you book the best UK travel insurance policy for you, and answer any questions you may have.

We've also put together the Holiday Extras' Hassle-free Holiday Hub, your one-stop shop for information to get you preppes for your holiday.

Policy Information

For and in-depth look at what is covered, limits and exclusions, be sure to check out our policy booklets page.

Annual travel insurance UK

While there's no harm in taking out a single trip travel insurance policy for a holiday within the UK, but for more frequent travellers, we also offer annual travel insurance.

This way, you only need to think about purchasing travel insurance once, and thereafter, can take as many trips as you want throughout the year (both inside and outside the UK). Taking out an annual multi-trip policy can thus save you a lot of time and money in the long run, as you won't need to go searching for a travel insurance policy each time you go on a trip somewhere.

Our annual policy provides exactly the same amount of cover as our single trip policy, so you can travel as many times as you like and be fully covered every time. Just be sure to keep within the day limits for each level: 22 consecutive days for Bronze, 31 consecutive days for Silver and Gold.

Do I need a passport for UK domestic flights?

The question of whether you'll need to take your passport on a domestic flight as a UK citizen will largely depend on which airline you choose to fly with.

Generally speaking, most airlines offering domestic flights will accept forms of recognised photo identification such as your drivers' license or official ID card. Some airlines may insist that you carry a valid passport with you on a domestic flight, whilst others may only do so I you are travelling with check-in luggage. In some instances, seniors may even be able to use their bus pass as a suitable form of identification! However we would always advise you to check with your chosen airline in advance before deciding on what you should take as a form of photo identification.

Things to see in the UK

  • Tour London. From the London Eye to cruises down the River Thames, our insurance means that you can delve into one of the world's mega cities without any worry.
  • Travel to Loch Ness in the Highlands of Scotland, and try to catch a glimpse of the legendary Loch Ness monster.
  • Discover the Emerald Isle. Explore the natural beauty of Northern Ireland, from historic monuments like Carrickfergus Castle, to the lively pubs of Belfast
  • Visit Stonehenge, a prehistoric site steeped in history.
  • Watch the football. Arguably the birthplace of the beautiful game, the UK offers some of the most exciting football matches around, in world-class stadiums.

Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.

Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited

Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.

The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with company number 13436330 and whose registered office address is 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, United Kingdom, EC3M 5BN. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 955859. You can check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting; or by contacting the Financial Conduct Authority on 0800 111 6768.