Travel Insurance for UK holidays
For most travellers, booking travel insurance isn't always a top priority, and this is appears to be even less so if your holiday is within in the United Kingdom! However, it is important that you still find a good travel insurance policy before you go, as it means you can travel with peace of mind knowing you have a policy behind you that includes cover for: personal possessions and cancellation cover.
For more information please consult our policy booklets.
Why book travel insurance for the UK?
You may well be wondering whether it's actually worth taking out travel insurance for a domestic trip within the UK. After all, one of your biggest concerns (emergency medical assistance) is already covered under the NHS.
However, let's not forget all the other eventualities that a reliable travel insurance policy can protect you against. What if you've booked a flight to Edinburgh or Glasgow and find that your luggage goes missing? What if one of the kids gets sick and you have to change your flight times?
Having a policy that includes cancellation cover is an incredibly attractive perk and one that can protect your purse strings should you be unable to go on your holiday or trip due to circumstances beyond your control. For more information on the specifics of our UK cancellation cover, please consult our policy booklet
While it does no good to focus on possible negative outcomes, it's always better to be prepared should, anything like this happen.
A reliable travel insurance policy valid for domestic travel will ensure you don't have to personally foot the bill. Many domestic travellers have benefitted from such aspects of their travel insurance policy as lost luggage and missed flight insurance.
It is worth noting that our UK travel insurance policies do not require medical screening, which will speed up the process for you, giving you a quick and easy quote!
How do I book this?
Our booking process is nice and straightforward, whether you complete the process online or via our call centre. To book a UK travel insurance policy with us online, simply go up to the top of our page and manually type, 'United Kingdom', to benefit from a policy that provides you with up to £1,000 worth of cancellation cover and up to £500 worth of baggage cover.
If you'd prefer speaking with someone then simply call our free helpline to speak to a friendly member of our Kent-based contact centre to make a booking, or for any extra help.
Annual UK travel insurance
This way, you only need to think about purchasing travel insurance once, and thereafter, can take as many trips as you want throughout the year (both inside and outside the UK). Taking out an annual multi-trip policy can thus save you a lot of time and money in the long run, as you won't need to go searching for a travel insurance policy each time you go on a trip somewhere.
Our annual policy provides exactly the same amount of cover as our single trip policy, so you can travel as many times as you like and be fully covered every time. Just be sure to keep within the day limits for each level: 22 consecutive days for Bronze, 31 consecutive days for Silver and Gold.
Do I need a passport for UK domestic flights?
The question of whether you'll need to take your passport on a domestic flight as a UK citizen will largely depend on which airline you choose to fly with.
Generally speaking, most airlines offering domestic flights will accept forms of recognised photo identification such as your drivers' license or official ID card. Some airlines may insist that you carry a valid passport with you on a domestic flight, whilst others may only do so I you are travelling with check-in luggage. In some instances, seniors may even be able to use their bus pass as a suitable form of identification! However we would always advise you to check with your chosen airline in advance before deciding on what you should take as a form of photo identification.
Things to see in the UK
- Tour London. From the London Eye to cruises down the River Thames, our insurance means that you can delve into one of the world's mega cities without any worry.
- Travel to Loch Ness in the Highlands of Scotland, and try to catch a glimpse of the legendary Loch Ness monster.
- Discover the Emerald Isle. Explore the natural beauty of Northern Ireland, from historic monuments like Carrickfergus Castle, to the lively pubs of Belfast
- Visit Stonehenge, a prehistoric site steeped in history.
- Watch the football. Arguably the birthplace of the beautiful game, the UK offers some of the most exciting football matches around, in world-class stadiums.
Useful links for UK travel:
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848, Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address, Ashford road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is registered in Ireland No. 306045. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac’s Registered Office is First Floor, Rineanna House, Shannon Free Zone, Shannon, County Clare, Republic of Ireland. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is authorised and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. The nature and extent of consumer protections may differ from those for firms based in the UK. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website, our FRN is 203320.