Faster and smarter in the app... Open app

Cruise ships sometimes seem as if they are islands themselves, with their own facilities, activities and food supplies. However, when it comes to paying for different products, this is, unfortunately, not the case.

Due to the range of countries you'll be visiting, it can be difficult to understand questions about payment on board, especially if you're visiting countries with different currencies.

What currency will I need?

The currency on board will usually be the currency of the country you set sail from i.e. U.S. cruises travelling to the Caribbean will use the dollar on board.

However, you need also need to take extra currency if you're planning to spend any money in the ports that you stop at. This must be the currency of the country that you're travelling to. Then, if you're visiting four countries with four different currencies, you must ensure that you take some of each currency with you. You can insure yourself against currency loss and theft by taking out comprehensive cruise travel insurance.

Many cruises use onboard cruise card systems which you can connect to your credit card. You'll be able to use these to pay for food, drink and extra experiences during your stay and this bill will be taken off your card at the end of your holiday.

Will my food and drink be included?

Food and drink available at the meal-time buffets and dinners is considered free, as well as the drinks from dispensers around the cruise ship. Generally, if you're travelling on a luxury cruise or have a pre-paid plan, whereas extra food and drink are not included outside of meal times.

Related content.

If you found the tips and insights into cruising useful, then check out our other helpful articles on this topic.

Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited, registered office address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Hythe, Kent CT21 4JF.

Holiday Extras Cover Limited is an insurance intermediary authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 828848. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register

Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited. The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with company number 13436330 and whose registered office address is 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, United Kingdom, EC3M 5BN.

Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 955859. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register