Cape Verde Travel Insurance
While it might not seem as exciting as other aspects of holiday preparation, booking the best travel insurance policy for your specific needs is an incredibly important safety precaution to take.
Situated off the coast of Africa with sunshine and warm temperatures guaranteed all year round, Cape Verde is imbued with a fascinating mix of west African and Portuguese culture. It is also a rarity in that has been largely unspoilt by the tourism industry, making it a cheap winter sun destination in comparison with firm favourites like the Caribbean or Mexico. Although holidays to Cape Verde tend to be more reasonably priced, it is still important to protect the money you have invested in your trip: from airport parking, flights, airport transfers and any pre-booked activities or excursions.
With the right travel insurance policy in place you are safeguarding your Cape Verde holiday against insurable, unforeseeable incidents beyond your control like cancellation, repatriation, if you lose your luggage or need emergency medical care. With its fantastic beaches, delicious Afro-Caribbean cuisine and plenty of exciting water sports and adventure activities to partake in, Cape Verde has all the ingredients for a very special holiday.
Compare travel insurance for Cape Verde
|Emergency medical and repatriation expenses|
|Curtailment and loss of holiday|
|Passport and other documents|
|Baggage Delay (outward journey)|
|Legal costs and expenses|
|Scheduled airline failure|
|End supplier failure|
*Or as specified on your schedule
Things to do in Cape Verde
There's more to the beach than getting a sun tan and if chilling on the beach has its time limits for you, then you might want to inject a little more adrenaline into your holiday to Cape Verde. From sailing and kayaking, to wind surfing and surfing, you can really reap the benefits of Cape Verde's windy climate in the Atlantic Ocean – perfect for water sports.
You'll be pleased to know that all of our travel insurance policies include 100+ sports and activities covered as standard and at no extra cost to you! However, if you plan on participating in any of these water sports or any other actvities such as hiking in Santo Antão, you should think about check to be insured if that sport requires you purchasing an additional premium on top of your policy. We offer three Extra Activity Packs, which can be found on our sports page.
No one wants to be ill on their holiday, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared with adequate medical cover. Unfortunately, sometimes the worst does happen and the vast majority of claims on travel insurance policies are for medical care. Without the NHS or travel insurance, you could face incredibly high medical bills if you need emergency treatment abroad.
Certain situations often warrant a high amount of medical care: if you break a bone, need to be airlifted to a hospital or need emergency surgery, you can benefit from up to £15 million for medical emergency expenses.
Cape Verde vaccinations
There are currently no mandatory vaccinations required to enter Cape Verde, although health authorities have classed the country as having a moderate risk of Zika virus transmission, and reports of a low risk of malaria in the capital city, Praia (Santiago Island). We would always emplore that you check that you're up to date with your vaccinations and to consult your GP four to six weeks in advance of your trip for health advice.
At a glance: Cape Verde
- how long is the flight to Cape Verde? Fastest one-stop flight is 6 hours, but it can take up to 9 hours for indirect flights.
- What are the Cape Verde islands called? Sal, Boa Vista, Santiago, Fogo, São Vincente, Santa Luzia, Maio, Santo Antão, Brava and São Nicolau.
- Cape Verde time difference: The UK is 1 hour ahead of the UK.
- What is the currency in Cape Verde? Cape Verde's national currency is the Cape Verdean escudo (CVE).
- What language do they speak in Cape Verde? The main language spoken in Cape Verde is Cape Verdean creole, which is a Portuguese-based creole language.
- What is the emergency number in Cape Verde? In the event of an emergency, ring 132 for the police or 131 for the fire brigade.
- What is the best time to visit Cape Verde? The weather between November and June is the most consistent and warm, with temperatures usually in the mid-high twenties and early thirties.
While hurricanes rarely form over Cape Verde, during its rainy season between August to October, hurricanes can form over the waters surrounding the Cape Verde islands. For more advice check out the website of Foreign Office.
Between December and February there are heightened chances of sand storms occuring which can sometimes disrupt air travel, depending on the severity of the storm.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.