Loading, please wait...
Get great value repatriation insurance with our single trip travel insurance policy,
starting from just *.
In simple terms, repatriation insurance covers you for an unexpected return to your home country in the event of a medical emergency.
In the case of this, our policy wording sheds some light on what you could expect from repariation:
Repatriation can be adminstered if, while on your trip abroad, the Chief Medical officer decides that it is medically necessary for you to return home either before or after your scheduled return date. If you were unfortunate enough to suffer a serious accident, illness or injury during your
So, how does repatriation insurance work in a travel insurance policy?
Travel insurance with repatriation
You may have noticed that very few travel insurance policies explicitly state repatriation in their summary of cover. This is because repatriation insurance is actually a component of any travel insurance policy worth it's salt. You'll find it grouped together under 'Emergency Medical expenses' in the policy wording. The amount listed under this category heading covers for the possibility of an unexpected return trip to the UK as a result of a medical emergency.
As you can imagine, repatriation back to the UK can be extremely costly, so it's really important to check out the repatriation section of any policy before buying, as amounts and benefits can vary.
Here is a break down of what is covered under medical emergency and repatriation:
- Medical practitioners' fees
- Hospital expenses
- In-patient and out-patient medical treatment
- Medical transportation
- Medical escort
- Repatriation travel costs
Holiday Extras travel insurance provides repatriation insurance as part of the cover for medical emergency expenses. With a Silver level policy, you can expect to be covered for up to £10 million for medical emergency expenses, including repatriation back to the UK.
Here's how much you can expect to be covered for under medical emergencies and repatriation:
Though we really hate to think of anything going wrong on your trip, we want you to know that if you've booked travel insurance with us, you can be sure that we'll get you treated and safely back home, should you unexpectedly require medical assistance. You can see your total repatriation amount under the emergency medical expenses section of your policy, which covers travel expenses incurred getting you home or to the hospital, as well as any medical attention you might require.
If you need to seek medical attention whilst abroad, please ensure that you contact our 24-hour Emergency Assistance Service for help and advice before treatment, where possible: +44 (0) 203 824 0653. We would advise you to keep this number in your mobile phone and give it to anyone else you are travelling with as you never know when you might need it.
Repatriation insurance cost
Considering the costs of transportation, medical escorts and possibly even an emergency air ambulance, it's easy to see how costs can rack up. For this reason, make sure your travel insurance policy has sufficient repatriation cover. While, a policy might appear cheap on the surface, there may be prohibitively high excesses and low cover levels.
Under 18s return journey
If you are the sole adult accompanied by under 18's, there's no need to panic about how the children will get home. With our repatriation insurance, we can cover the cost of returning your children home and will even provide for a responsible escort to accompany them if necessary.
If you'd like to know more about travel insurance for children, visit our children's travel insurance page.
Pre-existing medical conditions
Don't fret that your pre-existing medical condition will exclude you from our repatriation insurance: we specialise in medical policies that cover all kinds of conditions. Our discreet screening process is quick and simple, making it easy for us to create a policy tailored to your specific needs.
For more information on travel insurance with a pre-existing medical condition, visit our travel insurance with medical conditions page.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.