Whatever you have planned for your next kayaking holiday, have you got the kayaking travel insurance cover you need? At Holiday Extras, we have just the comprehensive cover that you're looking for to enjoy kayaking at your leisure.
For kayaking or canoeing at White Water Grades 1-2, this is automatically covered in your pack as standard. However, if you're looking to tackle grade 3 white water, please be aware you will need to pay the appropriate additional premium, and the activity is shown as covered on your policy schedule.
Travel insurance cover levels
|Emergency medical and repatriation expenses|
|Curtailment and loss of holiday|
|Passport and other documents|
|Baggage Delay (outward journey)|
|Legal costs and expenses|
|Scheduled airline failure|
|End supplier failure|
*Or as specified on your schedule
Once upon a kayak.
Did you know kayaks were created thousands of years ago by the Inuit of the Northern Arctic regions? They used materials like driftwood and often the skeleton of a whale to construct the frame which they then lined with animal skin. Their primary purpose was to be used for hunting and fishing - hence the literal translation 'hunter's boat'.
Times have changed and kayaking has drifted on in many countries to now representing a key international watersport. It's popularity particularly booming in the 1970s in the U.S! Kayaking has come of age, offering a totally new and exciting way to see the world that can be ideal for many types of traveller! Along with any sport though, ensuring your safety with kayaking holiday insurance could insure your fun too!
Popular kayaking destinations
Kayaking in Bordeaux, France
Kayaking along the Dordogne in Bordeaux, France could be the perfect family-friendly holiday choice with a blend of gentle activity and well-earned rest and relaxation. You could go with the flow of this wide river which is loved for its serenity and is an ideal choice for all fitness levels.
You could sail past the picturesque villages, limestone cliffs and historic sites and take a break in-between kayaking to enjoy time with the friendly locals and some of the region's finest vineyards.
Kayaking in New Zealand
New Zealand has some great places to enjoy kayaking if you are thinking of travelling a bit further afield, not least of all the Whanganui river which flows beautifully through an outstanding national park and at 290 km it is one of the longest in the country. Also perfect for people that enjoy nature watching book a guided kayaking tour along this river and you may find peace and quiet amongst the abundant birdlife and forests clinging to the cliff faces along the river side.
Remember that accidents can happen so here are a few handy tips to staying safe along the journey:
- Always wear a helmet and your personal floatation device..
- Always be aware of weather conditions and water temperature. Be sure to prepare for changes in water temperature and the possibility of capsize. If you are paddling in cold water then a wetsuit or drysuit could keep you comfortable and warm.
- Remember sun protection in warmer weather.
- If paddling in a new area check with locals regarding currents, shoreline conditions and weather patterns.
- Always follow the boating rules of the area you're in.
- Never exceed the weight capacity for your kayak and always check your equipment for wear and tear before you paddle.
- Ensure you seek qualified instruction to learn correct paddling techniques, water safety and basic first aid.
- Stay hydrated and always take plenty of food and water.
- Paddle with a guide and do not paddle on your own.
- Be sure to let others know of your paddle plan, which includes: where you are going, what you will be doing, how many there are in your group and how long you expect to be gone. Then stick with your plan.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.