Faster and smarter in the app... Open app

Get comprehensive travel insurance for your next trip, with policies starting from just *

Vaccinations for travel

As a whole, humanity has conquered many of the diseases that we were previously powerless against. However, this does not mean that all of these diseases have vanished, only that vaccinations have given our bodies the ability to fight against them.

Before travelling, you need to research your country of interest and get the appropriate vaccinations before boarding the plane.

Do you need to get vaccinations before you travel?

Depending on your holiday destination, you might need to get vaccinations before you travel, just as you should consider taking out a travel insurance policy. Travelling from England to Scotland, for example, won't require a vaccination to be safe, but travelling to Australia or many other countries will.

When should you get vaccinations for travel?

Firstly, how soon you should get your vaccine will depend on which vaccine you need to get. Some vaccines, like the Hepatitis A or B vaccines, will need to be done at the same time with the two vaccinations that are required for each strain administered 30 days apart. After that, you will need a booster shot from six to twelve months.

However, other vaccinations require the first dose to be administered as much as six months before you travel. In all cases, you need to consult your doctor.

Do you have to pay for vaccinations for travel?

Some vaccines are covered by the NHS, while others are not. Vaccinations that are not covered by the NHS typically cost between £40-£100.

The following vaccinations are covered by the NHS:

  • The Diphtheria/Tetanus/Polio vaccine
  • Typhoid vaccine
  • Hepatitis A vaccine
  • Cholera

Do you need any vaccinations to travel to Europe?

While there are some vaccinations you should get when travelling to Europe, most of these vaccinations should already have been administered to you if you grew up in the UK. If in doubt, consult your GP in advance for any vaccinations you and your family should receive.

Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited, registered office address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Hythe, Kent CT21 4JF.

Holiday Extras Cover Limited is an insurance intermediary authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 828848. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register

Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited. The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with company number 13436330 and whose registered office address is 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, United Kingdom, EC3M 5BN.

Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 955859. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register