Mountain Biking Travel Insurance
It gives you a chance to escape from the world and experience hills, trails and nature on just two wheels. You can enjoy the endurance and skill of cross-country, the speed of soaring downhill, or a pleasant family trail ride — there is something for everyone to enjoy. The fun stops though if your plans change, part of your gear gets stolen or someone has an accident. However, if you book comprehensive travel insurance you will be covered with medical cover, lost luggage cover and cancellation cover for your trip.
Protect yourself and your gear
Holiday Extras offers great mountain biking travel insurance for your holiday. We have Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels of holiday insurance to choose. You can get cover for either a single trip, of up to 365 days, or you can enjoy a year of unlimited travel with our annual policy (given that each trip does not exceed a maximum of 45-day period for the relevant cover level). Our policies include:
|Emergency medical and repatriation expenses|
|Curtailment and loss of holiday|
|Passport and other documents|
|Baggage Delay (outward journey)|
|Legal costs and expenses|
|Scheduled airline failure|
|End supplier failure|
*Or as specified on your schedule
Mountain biking can make the wheels go round!
There are a variety of events you can enjoy when mountain biking; these include downhill, cross-country and four cross. This high-energy sport can be enjoyed in a variety of venues. Cross-country mountain biking can be in a parkland, woodland or on forestry sites of your choice. The tricky terrain can include climbs, descents and all manner of technical features.
Staying safe and enjoying the ride
Accidents can happen so here are a few handy tips to keep you and your loved ones safe along the journey:
- Always wear a helmet. You are responsible for protecting the most important thing on your bike trail - your brain. So put your helmet on.
- Wear the right gear. This could be gloves (to avoid any cuts or bruises on your hands) or body padding, and trainers without laces if that's preferable.
- Know your fitness levels. Don't push yourself too hard and take plenty of water with you.
- Have basic first aid training.
- Ride a safe mountain bike. This means a mountain bike that is well maintained; check the brakes, tyres and the mechanics to see if there are any problems before you start your journey.
- Apply oil to the chain. This will help extend the life of the chain and chain-set. It will also prevent this from breaking on the trail.
- Be sure to know where you are and where you are going on your trail - if it is possible be sure to let others know where you are going, what you will be doing, how many there are in your group and how long you expect to be gone. Then stick with your plan.
Top mountain biking destinations
The French Alps
With superb scenery and points of interest, the French Alps is an ideal holiday destination. The French Alps also has the best terrain for mountain biking where serious investment has been put into great-quality bike trails and tracks. There are specialist ski-lifts adapted for bikes and many mountain bikers travel from around the world to this destination, to enjoy many miles of the terrain. Just check the weather forecast before your travel and ensure you have enough water with you!
Mountain biking across the Scottish Highlands can be a great experience, from Fort William to Inverness. Along the way you can explore Highland villages, visit one of Scotland's beautiful castles, and hunt for the Loch Ness Monster. There are many places in Scotland to take your mountain bike and enjoy your holiday. Just watch out for any difficult terrain and check if it's going to be a cold one!
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.