Missed Departure Travel Insurance
Have you ever missed a flight? There are few things more stressful, and this frustration is only worsened when it's matters outside of your control that cause you to miss your departure.
Claiming for a missed flight
There are two factors to consider when claiming for a missed flight. Firstly, that you missed your flight because of matters outside of your control and secondly, being able to supply supporting evidence to prove this.
Examples of good supporting evidence
- Photographic evidence - If you are involved in a road accident, take pictures of the scene, including indications of weather conditions and any relevant road warning signs. If you missed the flight due to public transport delays, be sure to get pictures of the display board times and any notices of delayed services as proof.
- Eye witness accounts - It's a smart move to get the contact details of others involved in the incident - testimonies from eye witnesses can do a lot to strengthen a claim.
- Documentation - travel tickets, route itineraries and receipts all make valid evidence, so it's wise to hang onto these.
How to get delay verification
The most important piece of evidence you can get is some form of verification confirming the road incident or delayed service. This type of evidence is usually quite straightforward to obtain, even some time after the event. Here's how you can go about getting verification of a road incident or delayed service:
Delayed public transport service
While some aspects of the process may differ slightly depending on the transport provider, the country and the region in which you were travelling, the basic method of getting confirmation for a delayed service remains largely the same.
The first thing to do is to check the website of the transport provider for a delay verification form. Some transport providers have a page dedicated to dealing with delay verification requests, with a form you can fill out online.
Granted, not all transport providers have such an obvious way of obtaining delay verification. If this is the case, you shouldn't be put off from pursuing your confirmation - it's just a simple matter of e-mailing the customer relations department.
Here are a few simple things you can bear in mind when sending an e-mail request for delay verification:
- Make it clear that all you want is confirmation of the delay.
- Be very specific about the date and time of the event, together with any relevant details as to why the service was delayed.
- Where applicable, provide a link to a news item or delay incident report.
Usually, if you make it clear that you aren't trying to get compensation, transport providers will be cooperative in giving you delay verification.
Road incidents and traffic delays
If you missed your flight because of a road incident, getting proof of the event is similar to the steps listed above. The Department of Transport and the Highway Agency keep a record of all motorway related incidents, so contacting these bodies is a surefire way to getting delay verification.
Alternatively, if it was your vehicle that was directly involved in the incident, you can also get confirmation of the event by contacting the breakdown service that dealt with the situation.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.