Loading, please wait...
Travelling to Budapest? Book your travel insurance today with prices starting from just *!
Budapest is fast becoming one of the most popular holiday destinations in eastern Europe. As Hungary's capital, it offers a number of hidden gems — from the 'ruin bars' and the banks of the Danube, to the neo-Gothic tunnel that is Budapest's Great Market Hall to pick up the very best of its local produce. Before you travel, it's important you book comprehensive travel insurance as a security precaution. This will protect you against insurable, unforeseeable circumstances including:
- holiday cancellation and curtailment,
- lost baggage,
- missed departures,
- or medical treatment.
Depending on any pre-existing medical conditions you need to declare and how much medical cover you may need, booking the best travel insurance policy could end up saving you a small fortune if something were to happen and you were travelling uninsured. You can book a Single Trip policy to cover one visit to this beautiful city or take out an Annual Multi-Trip policy to cover several European excursions you're planning throughout the year!
Choosing the best policy for you
If you're looking for cheap travel insurance for Budapest, at Holiday Extras we provide basic cover plans, all the way up to premium cover, and have the flexibility to secure your well-deserved trip to this pearl of the Danube. We like to think of ourselves as a fairly straightforward company, maintaining our core values, and we feel that the same principles should be applied to when you buy holiday insurance. Whether you are buying Single or Annual Multi-Trip cover we have 4 levels of cover available, our Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum cover.
Compare what our Budapest travel insurance has to offer using the table below:
You can add extras on to your policy depending on the nature of your trip. If you plan on partaking on some extreme sports such as caving underneath the streets of Budapest then, along with your helmet-mounted lamp, you will need travel insurance cover to protect your trip!
Our other extras include Gadget cover, which might come in handy on your excursions if you lose your phone, or in the unfortunate event it's damaged or stolen. If this cover is important to you then Gadget (and even Wedding cover) is included as standard with our Platinum insurance policy (or available as an added extra for an additional premium)!
Travel guide to Budapest
Check out our Holiday Extras travel guide to Budapest, to find out what you may not already know about one of Europe's grandest cities!
Top 5 things to see and do in Budapest:
1. Gellert Hill
Over 235 m high, Gellert Hill offers the best views of the river Danube and both the districts of Buda and Pest, as well as being crowned by Budapest's Statue of Liberty and other noteworthy monuments.
2. Buda Castle
With its vast underground system and galleries and museums, the castle is your one-stop-shop for culture, including the breath-taking architecture that makes it a World Heritage site.
3. Heroes' Square
The sometimes daunting square is filled with the statues of Hungary's seven chieftains and other noteworthy parliamentary individuals.
4. St. Stephens Basilica
This vast Roman Catholic Basilica is impressive both inside and out and is the largest church in Hungary. If this is not enough to win you over, the Basilica also holds regular organ concerts.
5. Hungary Parliament Building
Even from the outside, this building is worth visiting! It's more or less impossible to miss, due to its domination of the skyline of Budapest and its imposing structure on the banks of the Danube.
Is Budapest safe to travel to?
Hungary is a generally safe country, however, you should take precautions against crime, especially if you'll be visiting busy areas, bars, or using public transport, particularly at night.
Is English spoken in Budapest?
Although the first language is Hungarian, English is often spoken in the capital. However, English is less widely spoken in the countryside.
How could Brexit affect my trip to Budapest?
If you're concerned about the effect Brexit may have on your travel, as a business traveller or a holiday maker planning your next European holiday, then learn more by visiting our guides to travelling post-Brexit.
At a glance: Budapest
- How long is a flight from the UK to Budapest? It's a pretty quick flight, lasting between just 2 to 3 hours.
- What is the time zone in Budapest? Budapest time is CET (Central European Standard Time) at 1 hour ahead.
- Which airlines fly from the UK to Budapest? There are many airlines that fly to Budapest from the UK including: EasyJet, Norwegian, Wizz Air and Ryanair.
- What is the currency in Budapest? The official currency is Hungarian Forint (HUF) though you may find certain places will accept Euros.
- What language do they speak in Budapest? The official language is Hungarian.
- What is the emergency number in Budapest? The general emergency number in Hungary is 112. Ambulance is 104.
- What plug sockets are used in Budapest? Budapest, like other European countries, uses two pin power plugs and sockets, therefore you will need to take a European plug adapter with you.
Which city are you travelling to?
Are you looking for travel and insurance information for another European city? Then view one or more of our other in-depth city guides below.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.