Faster and smarter in the app... Open app

Under 18's Travel Money Card

Getting access to your money when travelling can be tricky and you'll find that it can come with unwelcome, additional charges. Foreign cash machines will usually request a fee, and although initially it may not seem like a large amount, when you tally up all of your transactions you could lose a lot of money without realising it. If you're a parent of a child under the age of 18 that is travelling, this process becomes even more tricky. It's not recommended to carry large amounts of cash and credit/debit cards aren't an option. This is where travel money cards can be a great alternative.

How does a travel money card work?

A money card works similar to a debit card, without the same bank rules and regulations. They are amazingly simple to use, all you have to do is to make sure you remember to load it up with funds before your trip. Some providers will allow you to do this instantly via a website or App. Travel money cards are great for under 18's and can be used all over the world for things like:

  • Paying for goods online
  • Taking out foreign cash
  • Making purchases in shops or restaurants

Travel money for under 18s

Travel money card providers such as Fairfx will allow your child to make purchases anywhere around the globe that accepts Mastercard. A little closer to home, the Fairfx card can be used in the UK without charge, so it can be a great introduction to money management. It's also important to prepare for any incidents abroad, including illness or lost luggage, which, unfortunately, is still an issue across airports all over the world. If your child is travelling alone, taking out comprehensive children's travel insurance will certainly help to reduce stress levels and put your mind at ease.

How to book travel insurance

Booking your travel insurance wih Holiday Extras couldn't be easier. Simply fill out the yellow form at the top of this page to get started. The entire process is quick, easy, and shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. What's more, you'll have the peace of mind that you'll be covered by an award-winning provider with over 40 years experience in travel insurance. Book today to get started!

Related content

If you found the tips and insights into under-18's travel insurance useful, then check out our other helpful articles on travelling as an under-18.

Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited, registered office address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Hythe, Kent CT21 4JF.

Holiday Extras Cover Limited is an insurance intermediary authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 828848. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register

Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited. The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with company number 13436330 and whose registered office address is 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, United Kingdom, EC3M 5BN.

Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 955859. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register