Loading, please wait...
Get dependable cover for your holiday from only *
Are you confused over VWP and need to know more? Well you've come to the right page!
What is the Visa Waiver Program?
The Visa Waiver Program (or VWP) is a program of the United States Government which allows you (or citizens of 38 specific countries) to travel to the United States for tourism, business, or while in transit for up to 90 days without having to obtain a visa. The Visa Waiver Program was administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in consultation with the State Department. Travellers, within the VWP, must have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) to travel to the USA.
Who is eligible for the Visa Waiver Program?
To apply for the Visa Waiver Program you must be a citizen or national of one of the following VWP designated countries:
|Czech Republic||Liechtenstein||South Korea|
(To be eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program, British citizens must have the unrestricted right of permanent abode in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man).
If you are travelling to the USA without a visa on the Visa Waiver Program then you will need to gain authorisation through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before you fly. This is web-based system which is operated by the U.S Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and determines if you are eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program to the USA for tourism or business. Once you have applied for an ESTA, this will usually be valid for 2 years.
Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act 2015
Under the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015, travellers must obtain a visa prior to travelling to the USA if they are no longer eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program due to being in one of the following two categories:
- Nationals of Visa Waiver Program countries (as listed in table above) who have travelled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen, on or after March 1st 2011. This has limited exceptions for travel for diplomacy or military purposes in the service of a VWP country.
- Nationals of Visa Waiver Program countries who are also nationals of Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria.
Individuals who fall into one of the two categories above can apply for visas using regular appointment processes at the U.S Embassy or Consulate. If anyone requires a visa for urgent travel to the USA, the U.S embassies and Consulates handle these applications quicker on a case-by-case basis.
If you are travelling to the USA check:
- You are a member of the Visa Waiver Program
- You have applied for an ESTA
When travelling to the USA you need to have the correct passport. This includes all family members, like infants and children who must have his/her own passport. You must have a biometric passport, or e-Passport, to use the Visa Waiver Program. An e-Passport is an enhanced secure passport that has an embedded electronic chip.
This chip can be scanned to match the identity of the traveller of the passport. E-Passports must be in compliance with standards that are set by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) and can be identified by a chip-like symbol on the front cover of the passport.
Countries that are part of the VWP
A country that is part of the Visa Waiver Program has met several requirements to be considered for designation into the program. These requirements include (but are not limited to):
- enhanced law enforcement and security-related data sharing with the USA;
- having a visitor (B) visa refusal rate of less than three percent;
- timely reporting of both blank and issued lost and stolen passports; and
- maintenance of high counterterrorism, law enforcement, border control, and document security standards.
How long does it take to get a visa waiver to be approved?
A Visa Waiver or ESTA application can be approved very quickly (literally in a matter of minutes), though it is advisable to make an application at least 72 hours before travelling to the USA. The U.S Customs and Border Protection advise that a pending application can take up to 3 days, as additional screening may be required to ensure you do not pose a security or immigration risk.
Do you need an ESTA to travel to the USA?
If you are a citizen of a VWP (Visa Waiver Program) country and you are travelling to the USA by land then an ESTA is not needed. If you are travelling to the USA by air or sea though, you do. If you are not a citizen of a VWP country, you are required to have a visa. This would then mean that ESTA wouldn't apply for you.
Do I need a visa to visit USA from UK?
Most passport holders can apply for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) through the VWP (Visa Waiver Program) which allows travel to the USA for up to 90 days. You will generally qualify to enter the USA using the VWP if your British passport describes you as a 'British Citizen' or has a recognised e-Passport electronic chip.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Latitude Medical Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Basic cover policy
- Standard cover policy
- Premium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Business Travel Insurance
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Golf Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Backpacker Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- End Supplier Failure Cover
- EHIC Information
- Excess Waiver Travel Insurance
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.