Faster and smarter in the app... Download now

Travel Insurance and B2 Visa's

If you are planning a trip to North America, you may need to apply for a B2 visa. You may need a B2 visa if you are travelling to the United States of America and you are not a UK citizen, your ESTA has been denied, or you wish to remain for longer than 90 days.

What is a B2 visa?

B2 visas are for travellers wishing to visit the United States of America for tourism (visiting family, holiday, medical grounds) purposes. Although UK citizens can travel to the USA on the Visa Waiver Programme with an ESTA, they will have to apply for a B2 if they are planning to stay in the United States for longer than 90 days.

When do you need to apply for a B2 visa?

As previously stated, you need to apply for a B2 visa when heading to and travelling through the US for any purpose. As soon as your B2 visa expires, you must return to your home country and if you wish to stay for longer, you can apply for a B2 visa extension for up to one year.

When applying for a B2 visa, you will need a printed confirmation page of your DS-160 application form, a 5 x 5 photo colour photo that has been taken within six months and appointment confirmation. You will also need to bring a passport with at least one blank page and evidence of a number of factors such as your status in the UK, other US visas, a doctors note for any medical conditions, any documents related to overstaying in the USA and any documents relating to a criminal record.

What is the difference between a B1 and a B2 visa?

Whilst B2 visas are for those wishing to visit the United States for tourism purposes, B1 visas should be held by people wanting to travel to the USA for business reasons such as settling an estate or attending a conference.

How long does it take to get a B2 visa?

It takes between 3-5 days, and an additional 2 days delivery for the return of your passport and an additional 60 days to process your application.

Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.

Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited

Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.

The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.