Get dependable cover for your holiday to Japan from only *
Tokyo is a metropolitan jungle and the busy capital of Japan. This city mixes the ultramodern with the traditional, from historical temples to skyscrapers.
Top 5 things to see and do in Tokyo
When you do travel to Tokyo, there are a few things that you will want to prepare for in advance. For example, if you plan on splitting your time between Tokyo and Kyoto, you might want to consider the Japan Rail Pass. It works similarly to the Eurorail pass in Europe and can cost just as much as one return ticket between Tokyo and Kyoto. With this pass, you can add more destinations to your itinerary.
You will also want to get a pay as you go SIM card or pocket WiFi system to stay connected, and travel insurance for Japan to cover you in case you need emergency medical attention or you have to deal with cancellations. Doing this will help you to enjoy your trip with peace of mind.
For a surreal experience in Tokyo head to Harajuku, a colourful explosion of street art and fashion. There are vintage shops, cosplay stores, and delicious crepe shops for you to explore.
Tokyo's entertainment district is where the lights come out in full force and tourists can enjoy the bars, nightclubs and restaurants.
From the Tokyo National Museum to more modern museums like the new Yayoi Kusama museum or the teamLab digital art museum, you are spoilt for choice. To really get a feel for the city and all that it's about, these museums are a must.
One of the most beautiful and oldest temples in Tokyo, Senso-ji is an absolute must-see. Just remember to be respectful.
This stunning shrine is one of the largest in Tokyo.
With so much to do and see in Tokyo, it's important that you craft your itinerary based on your own interests, and definitely plan to come back again!
If you enjoyed this article and would like more info on travel to Japan, check out our other posts on the topic.
- Top things to see and do in Japan
- Tips for first-time travellers to Japan
- Kyoto: Things to see and do
- Tokyo: Things to see and do
- Best places for sushi in Tokyo
- Osaka: Things to see and do
- Sapporo: Things to see and do
- Coffee in Japan
- Top 5 Ramen shops in Tokyo
- Is ramen healthy?
- Summer in Japan: Best things to do
- Winter in Japan: Best things to do
- How much does it cost to visit Japan?
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited, registered office address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Hythe, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras Cover Limited is an insurance intermediary authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 828848. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited. The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited. Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with company number 13436330 and whose registered office address is 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, United Kingdom, EC3M 5BN.
Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number 955859. You can check this by visiting the Financial Services Register