Welcome back to holidays! Our flexible policies, with three different levels of cover are here to help you travel hassle-free in the new normal.
With over 30 years' experience selling holiday insurance, half a million policies sold annually and the recipient of Globe's Best Insurance Provider twelve years running, it's safe to say we know a thing or two. That's why, at Holiday Extras we've put together three levels of cover that can be tailored specifically to your individual needs.
Book on or offline! We have over 30 trained insurance specialists, as well as an Insurance Support Page waiting to help you book the perfect policy and answer any questions you may have.
We've also put together the Holiday Extras' Hassle-free Holiday Hub, your one-stop shop for information to get you prepared for travel returning.
What is Travel Insurance?
When going on holiday you invest money in your trip: from transport, parking, accommodation and luggage. While no one wants to think about worst-case scenarios whilst on holiday, it is worth having a safety net in place should something go wrong down the line that could potentially leave you out of pocket. That's why it's important to have the best travel insurance for your own specific needs.
Whether you need a single trip or annual travel insurance policy, or maybe you're setting sail and need cruise insurance — we have a wide array of comparable cover level options for you to choose from.
Alongside our trusted, reliable and comprehensive cover, Holiday Extras are also specialists for medical travel insurance. If you have a serious medical condition (or multiple conditions), our compassionate and understanding team will work with you to find you a policy that meets your requirements.
With over 99% of common conditions covered, we are proud to say that our specialist medical cover meets the requirements for inclusion on the Money Advice Service (MAS) travel insurance directory.
Travel insurance and the FCDO
Holiday Extras now offers enhanced COVID-19 protect enabling you to travel to European countries where the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against "non-essential" travel, as long as the advice is against all but essential travel solely as a result of COVID-19. For more information, see our COVID-19 cover section of this page.
Four reasons to choose Holiday Extras as your travel insurance provider:
|Three cover levels to suit your travel needs||Voted best insurance provider by the Globe Travel Awards 12 years running||We will consider ALL medical conditions||Cruise-specific policies available|
|UK cover available for those not travelling internationally||Rated Excellent on Trustpilot||Up to £15 million worth of medical cover||We're partnered with the largest cruise lines|
|Single or Annual? Europe or Worldwide?||Recommended and used by over 500 travel agents||COVID cover included as standard||Cruise cover for itinerary change, cabin confinement and abandonment|
|Extras including gadget cover, winter sports, extreme sports available.||Award-winning Kent-based contact centre||24/7 online medical screening||No upper age limit on single trip policies|
Medical travel insurance
Holiday Extras is a medical insurance specialist, featuring on the Money Advice Service (MAS) travel insurance directory, which the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) has confirmed meets its criteria for a 'medical cover firm directory'. If you have a serious medical condition or multiple conditions, we will endeavour to find a policy that both covers your needs and suits your exacting requirements.
With a Holiday Extras policy, you can get up to £15 million worth of medical insurance should anything happen to you while abroad. While this initally might seem like an enormous amount, and maybe even unnecessary for you, the cost health care abroad is wildly more expensive than it is at home in the UK. Without the NHS, you can be looking at huge medical bills for an ambulance and emergency medical consultation abroad. If travelling uninsured, the bill will fall on you.
If you currently have a pre-existing medical condition, or have previously had one, then you will need to declare your condition(s) during the medical screening process which, based on your condition, will elevate the price of your policy depending on the level of "risk" associated with it.
We will consider all medical conditions and offer cover for the majority of pre-existing conditions. This includes all forms of cancer.
Travel Insurance with COVID-19 cover
While travel restrictions are beginning to lift, we understand that this is still an unpredictable time. That's why at Holiday Extras, we offer travel insurance that provides COVID-19 cover on our Bronze, Silver and Gold policies as standard for specific events. As such, you are insured for the following:
- If the insured, their relative, a member of their household or travelling companion contract COVID-19 within 14 days of the booked departure date.
- If the insured is denied boarding on pre-booked outward travel due to contracting COVID-19 following a medically approved test or having a confirmed temperature above 38.C.
- Death of a relative or member of the insured's household as a result of COVID-19.
- Hospitalisation of a relative or member of insured's household requiring treatment with mechanical ventilation as a result of COVID-19.
Medical & Repatriation Expenses:
- Cover for medical costs for any treatment and associated expenses required abroad as a result of contracting COVID-19 following a medically approved test (up to £15m), as long as they have not travelled against the advice of the FCDO*.
Enhanced COVID-19 protect
If you're looking for an increased level of cover, you can add our optional enhanced COVID-19 protect to your policy, including cover for:
- Cover if customers wish to travel against the advice of the FCDO providing the advice is against "all but essential travel" solely as a result of COVID-19 and no other factors. This is only applicable for holidays within Europe.
- Cover for cancellation as a result of being contacted by NHS Test & Trace due to coming into contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 and needing to self isolate, preventing the insured from making the outward journey.
- Cancellation as a result of experiencing an adverse reaction to the COVID-19 vaccine within 14 days of departure resulting in the insured being unfit to travel as confirmed by a medical practitioner.
- The insured being unable to complete their COVID-19 vaccination course before the scheduled departure date as a result of unforeseen illness.
*Unless they have paid the Enhanced COVID-19 Cover premium.
Holiday cancellation insurance and curtailment
If you can't go on your holiday for unforeseeable circumstances or reasons beyond your control, with a travel insurance policy you can claim on holiday cancellation cover to reimburse any money you lose out on by having to cancel your trip.
Depending on the total cost of your holiday — from money spent on flights and airport transfers, to accomodation and pre-paid expenses for excursions — you can select a cover level which appropriately covers the amount paid by a traveller to go on the trip.
We offer cover which can pay up to £5,000 for your share of any lost pre-paid expenses which you cannot get back or be transferred.
If you have to cut your trip short (curtailment) if any of the following reasons happen while on your trip: a family member, travelling companion or business associate becomes ill, injured or dies. You might be called for jury service, or be a member of HM Forces and have your leave orders cancelled.
It can be one of the most stressful and irritating situations to happen while you're on holiday. Sadly, it does happen. Losing your luggage while in transit — either by the airline, or a transfer — is the last thing you want to happen.
If your checked-in baggage is delayed and does not arrive at your trip destination within 12 hours, we can pay up to £300 in compensation.
Car Hire Excess Insurance
Protect your excess on your holiday car hire, with Holiday Extras' Car Hire Excess Insurance. This includes cover against misfuelling, theft, possession loss, key cover, and breakdown recovery.
No one wants to think of the absolute worst happening, but sometimes it pays to be prepared and understand what exactly you're covered for.
With a Holiday Extras insurance policy, you can get up to £15 million for medical expenses and repatriation.
You can claim on your travel insurance if you are late in checking in at your international destination for any of the following reasons:
- If you miss your pre-booked departure from your home country (outbound) because your flight, train, bus or boat (public service) was delayed, cancelled, or affected by extreme weather or a strike.
- If while on the way to the airport your car breaks down, or you're involved in an accident and makes you miss your departure.
If any of the following scenarios happen we will pay you up to £1,000 for both a missed departure or a missed connection.
Compare travel insurance cover levels
You can then choose from three levels of cover, each differently priced, ranging from a basic and essential cover to a higher, premium level of cover.
Here is a brief overview of some of the main upper limits and inclusions of each policy. Be sure to read through the Policy Documents for more comprehensive cover details.
|Emergency medical and repatriation expenses|
|Curtailment and loss of holiday|
|Passport and other documents|
|Baggage delay (outward journey)|
|Legal costs and expenses|
|Scheduled airline failure|
|End supplier failure|
*Or as specified on your schedule
What is the Money Advice Service (MAS) travel insurance directory?
The MAS directory will help you find a travel insurance provider if you have a serious medical condition.
The directory can't provide quotes itself - but it can direct you to specialist firms that can. All firms, such as Holiday Extras Cover Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and have been through a rigorous selection process to prove their specialism. Holiday Extras Cover are proud to be featured in the directory.
Contact details for the Money Advice Service:
Telephone: 0800 138 7777 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Typetalk: 18001 0800 915 4622 Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.