Londons Southend airport is often overlooked as a quick and convenient way into the capital. However, its a well-connected place to arrive if you decide to fly in. On this page, youll find everything you need to know about planning a trip onwards from the arrivals lounge.
Driving to Southend airport
Southend airport is just outside London on the A127, so no matter where youre driving from you can just head towards and round the M25. Check the direction youre starting from to read up on a quick route in:
- From the west Get onto the M4 or M40 in the direction of London. The city centre is always likely to be busy, so skirt round the top of London anti-clockwise on the M25 for a quicker route. Exit onto the A127 at junction 29 for Southend, following the road until the turnoff at the B1013. Take the second exit on the next roundabout and follow signs for the airport.
- From the north Whether you travel south down the M1, A1(M) or M11, head for London and the M25. Take an anti-clockwise route round the north of London and follow the rest of the directions above.
- From the south Drivers starting in Southampton or Portsmouth should take the M3 until they get to the M25. From there, its best to go around the south of London, head through the Dartford Tunnel and exit east onto the A13. It becomes the A130 and connects to the A127, with the above instructions applying from there.
If you need to take the sat nav with you, keep the airports postcode in mind: SS2 6YF. Drivers picking up family and friends from an early flight should note that the terminal doesnt open until 4am.
There are even more comprehensive directions to Southend airport on our directions page, and a handy map below for you to work out your route.
Public transport from Southend airport
Typically for an airport that serves London, Southend offers numerous options for continuing your journey by public transport. There are also options for those arriving at unsociable times of the day or night, so youll never be stuck for a way to get around.
Choose the public transport option that suits you best:
- Train. Southend Airport rail station is directly opposite the terminal - its just a short walk away. Trains into London terminate at Liverpool Street, stopping at Stratford on the way. The station closes immediately after the last train leaves, which is 45 minutes after the last flight lands, so dont miss it!
- Bus and coach. Buses stop right outside the airport, en route to Southend town centre. If youve come in on a very early or late flight, youll be pleased to known that X30 coaches run through the night between Southend and Stansted.
- TaxiSouthend airport has an exclusive partnership with a local company for taxis and private hire cars - so youll know theyre safe and reliable. Taxis are available from right outside the airport 24 hours a day.