Why is airport parking so expensive?
If you turn up and park without booking in advance, airport parking can be a costly addition to any trip. But why is airport parking so expensive? There are several factors that contribute to why airports charge what they do for parking.
- Land costs - Airport real estate is expensive and airport parking charges are an integral way of offsetting these costs.
- Running and maintenance costs - Airport parking charges contribute to the running of the car park, including equipment (CCTV, pay machines, Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) systems), staff and general maintenance.
- Convenience - Driving to the airport is the most convenient option for many people, particularly if you have lots of luggage and are travelling with kids. There's no public transport to worry about and parking so close to the terminal means you'll be able to check-in and get home as quickly and easily as possible. Many travellers will pay a premium for this convenience.
- Demand - As passenger volumes rise, so does the demand for airport parking and this in turn influences parking rates. This can be seen in how many airports have peak and off-peak rates. During popular travel times, like Summer, the rates are higher compared to quieter off-peak periods like November - March.
How to save money on your airport parking:
At Holiday Extras it's important to us that our customers can enjoy the very best prices on airport parking. Take a look at our money-saving tips below.
- 1. Book in advance - Save up to 70% off gate prices when you pre-book with Holiday Extras.
- 2. Opt for an off-airport package - Save money by choosing a trusted and secured off-airport operator. Official, on-airport car parks are usually slightly closer to the terminal and therefore charge a more premium price tag.
- 3. Choose a Park and Ride package - This type of parking often boasts the lowest prices all year round.
- 4. Travel off-peak - If you can, travelling off-peak (November-March) is a great way to save some cash.
- 5. Check out non-flexible deals - If you're confident your plans won't change, this type of package is an easy way to enjoy special low prices.
- 6. Sign up for email offers - We'll send you exclusive deals and discounts up to 15% off straight to your inbox. We'll only ever send you the good stuff and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Holiday Extras agree market-leading prices with industry partners. You cannot buy the same products for less with any other company. This is the price promise to customers. If you can find exactly the same product cheaper within 24 hours of paying for your booking with Holiday Extras, they will match the price by refunding the difference
Holiday Extras is rated "Great" on Trustpilot with a rating of 4.1 out of 5 from over 11,000 customer reviews. Read the reviews here: Holiday Extras on Trustpilot
You can amend or cancel your booking yourself either online or via our app, 24 hours a day. With just a few clicks, you can change dates, times and locations, update your personal details and add money-saving extras.
Weekdays: 9:00am - 5:00pm.
Completely free and fast: we get online within 60 seconds. And convenient: there's no pressure, chat at your own pace. And if you like, we'll email you a transcript of the chat.
Hi. My team of 200 travel advisors and I want to make sure we deliver our promise to you of less hassle, more holiday.
You can quickly reach us by phone, chat or email any day of the week, no matter what the query. Every person here is not only friendly, highly trained and extremely patient but also knows the travel world inside out.
Please remember, our reason for being here is to help you. So thanks for choosing Holiday Extras. And happy travelling."
Holiday Extras Customer Director
The best way to contact us at the moment is using our live chat:
Customer Experience Team