As a Software Engineer at Holiday Extras you will play a key role in solving some of the most exciting and challenging problems the travel industry has right now. The biggest one is how we remove the unnecessary hassle from travelling so our customers can make the most of their precious holiday time - in fact, the whole reason why we exist.
We believe all the answers lie in creating pioneering tech for our customers.
This is where you come in…
We're looking for Software Engineers (who love to travel as much as we do!) to drive our move to a microservices and API based architecture.
In this exciting time for travel, we're on a mission to remake holidaymaking. So we're on the search for people in a variety of streams to help make this happen - whether you like to see your code directly improving the customer experience on our app, mobile or desktop platforms or you prefer to be shaping the backend architecture, with continuous integration you'll be able to have an impact immediately.
Our current streams of work include:
- Intelligent Recommendations - Creating and developing data models with our data science team to create a super intelligent recommendation engine. Leveraging data we have about our customers, their trips and the travel market to create customer value in HEHA! (our Holiday Extras, Holiday Assistant).
- Service - Making it easy for our customers to self-serve on our site and app by providing a first-class chat experience that uses Machine Learning to present fast, automated-responses. Our goal is to have the best chat experience online where customers get their queries answered swiftly and when needed can connect with a member of our service team either via chat or over the phone if required.
- Supply - Connecting with our supply partners to deliver the best product, price and availability. We integrate with multiple partners who are at different stages of their tech journey. We're currently building out our best-in-class integration strategy overcoming challenges of storing and presenting millions of prices across multiple product types. Focus is on speed and accuracy.
- Moving all traffic to our most performant booking platform - We call it the Trip App; our modern Single Page web application built with React. We are constantly empowering our engineers to use the best and latest tech and coding standards. Trip App has a good use of code-splitting, hooks, redux, great test coverage and more. This gives our customers the most seamless experience and our developers the best possible coding environment to work with.
Our CEO and Associate Director of Technology on why you should choose a tech career at Holiday Extras
Our tech stack
By using and developing pioneering technologies, we believe in providing value to our customers as fast as possible, deploying several hundreds times a day.
Our architecture consists of APIs structured as microservices hosted on the Google Cloud Platform.
- React / React Router / Redux / Reselect
- Webpack / Parcel to bundle code
- Selenium for end-to-end testing
- ESLint / Prettier for code formatting
- Mocha / Jest / Enzyme for unit testing
- Less / SASS / Bootstrap / Atomic design / BEM
- NodeJS on the backend with Express
- GraphQL and REST for APIs
- Microservices hosted in Google Cloud using Kubernetes
- MySQL for operational Database and GBQ for Data Lake
- Python and Airflow for data processing
Find out more about our tech stack.
Let your career take flight
Personal development is super important to us so we have launched an exciting progression framework for our engineers that offers clarity on the expectations at each level. Custom built just for them, it recognises that everyone works and and develops in different ways - enabling engineers to tailor it to themselves and what is best for them.
Want to work abroad? No problem. Need part-time hours? Let us know what you'd like that to look like.
Remote working has been hardwired into our way of life for a long time, but we also have some amazing hubs you can access: in Kent (near the beaches in Hythe and the up-and-coming coastal town of Folkestone), Birmingham and Maidenhead.
Apply now if you have*...
- Commercial programming experience in React or Nodejs
- Demonstrated experience building highly scalable distributed web applications
- Experience working as a software engineer in a technology business
- A focus on solutions, an excellent problem solver who is not afraid to make decisions and act quickly
- Examples of a pragmatic approach to software delivery, understanding the pros (and cons) of shipping early and often
- Strong communication skills to work effectively across the business
- Determination to acquire new skills
- A desire to be onboard and part of our future to transform travel.
*We're also recruiting Senior Software Engineers if it's more suited to your level and experience.
Apply now if you want...
- A workplace culture that enables you to make the most of your time - both in and out of work.
- A team you can learn from and who can learn from you.
- A wider community of amazing people who are rooting for you and have your back.
- The ability to choose where and when you work.
- 25 days holiday
- Birthday day off
- Enhanced parental leave
- Life assurance
- Employee assistance programme
- Private medical insurance and health screening (after 4 years' service)
- Cycle-to-work schemes
- Electric car scheme
- Onsite fitness classes
Sound good? Here's the next steps...
Upload your CV and we'll be in touch!
Or if you'd like to have a chat first, please get in contact via [email protected].Apply Now
How we hire
You'll be asked to complete this a tech assessment via Codility.
We'll get back to you within 7 days with feedback and hopefully invite you to a pair programming session and interview where you can meet some of the team (with offices opening you're welcome to do this at our Kent campus).
As with our work, we move fast and make it clear of what's expected at each stage - supporting you all the way.