Senior Software Engineer
Holiday Extras is for those who dare to do things differently.
For those who aren't bound by convention or the status quo.
Join us and create innovative technical solutions so we can Remake Holiday Making.
We're looking for Senior Software Engineers to establish patterns that help us manage complexity at scale, alongside continuing our move to a microservices and API based architecture.
Our Senior Software Engineers play a key role in defining and promoting best practice, and you'd be leading and encouraging a supportive culture, including mentoring and supporting the development of those around you.
In this exciting time for travel, we're on a mission to remake holidaymaking. remake holidaymaking.. So we're on the search for people in a variety of Adventures (think tribe in the Spotify model…) to help make this happen - whether you like to see your code directly improving the customer experience on our app, mobile or desktop platforms or you prefer to be shaping the backend architecture, with continuous integration you'll be able to have an impact immediately.
Our current 'Adventures' include:
- Selling - Bringing customers into Holiday Extras and engaging them with our brand. Right now, that looks like maximising our caching, optimising speed and enhancing our email process.
- Buying - Creating a frictionless, fun and kid friendly buying experience. Projects to get stuck into include; updating our payment UI to help customers check out with minimal friction, improving our functionality for upgrades to and migrating onto our most performant booking platform - our modern Single Page web application built with React.
- Service - Providing the smartest, most personal service in travel. Projects include rolling out our chat service, to allow customers to get the help they need, at a time suitable for them and providing a first-class chat experience that uses Machine Learning to present fast, automated-responses. We're also innovating for our partners; rolling out smarter deal finder technology to help customers zero in on the best date & price for their trip.
- Supply - Connecting with our supply partners to deliver the best product, price and availability. We're currently building out our best-in-class integration strategy overcoming challenges of storing and presenting millions of prices across multiple product types, with the focus on speed and accuracy for our customers.
- HEHA! - Bringing trips to life through our customer app, the goal is to delight our customers by using our super smart intelligence engine to power the customer experience. Using React Native and Node, we are changing how customers can make a search to make the results more personal than ever.
Senior Software Engineers
Salary: from £47,000 DOE (plus benefits)
Location: you decide
We're flexible for the right person, full time, part time, job share etc.
Matthew Pack, CEO
Our CEO on why you should choose a tech career with Holiday Extras
Our tech stack
By using and developing pioneering technologies, we believe in providing value to our customers as fast as possible, deploying several hundreds times a day.
Our architecture consists of APIs structured as microservices hosted on the Google Cloud Platform.
- React / React Router / Redux / Reselect
- Webpack / Parcel to bundle code
- Selenium for end-to-end testing
- ESLint / Prettier for code formatting
- Mocha / Jest / Enzyme for unit testing
- Less / SASS / Bootstrap / Atomic design / BEM
- NodeJS on the backend with Express
- GraphQL and REST for APIs
- Microservices hosted in Google Cloud using Kubernetes
- MySQL for operational Database and GBQ for Data Lake
- Python and Airflow for data processing
Let your career take flight
Personal development is super important to us; our progression framework offers clarity on the expectations at each engineering level. Custom built just for our team, it recognises that everyone works and and develops in different ways - enabling engineers to tailor it to themselves and what is best for them.
10% of our team's working time is dedicated to their personal development; a day for you to choose your focus, deep dive into something you love, broaden your skills and collaborate with others. Twice a year we host conference day; by us, for us, in which you can hone your speaking skills or just hear about some amazing work being done here at HX.
Our various Guilds also offer an exciting opportunity to meet with like minded people and take on projects and missions geared towards collaboration, innovation and improvement of their specific areas.
Remote working has been hardwired into our way of life for a long time with nearshoring teams set up across Europe, but we also have our amazing HQ in Kent (near the beaches in Hythe and the up-and-coming coastal town of Folkestone).
What you can bring to our team...
- Extensive programming experience in either React or NodeJS.
- Demonstrated experience building highly scalable distributed web applications.
- Experience working as a senior software engineer in a technology business.
- Strong leadership capability, demonstrating a culture of autonomy and responsibility - not afraid to make decisions and act quickly.
- Examples of a pragmatic approach to software delivery, understanding the pros (and cons) of shipping early and often and advocate best practice.
- Strong collaboration skills with a range of people and teams - not afraid to challenge (with good intent and approach) to find the best solutions for our customers.
- Balance encouraging others to follow their ideas vs knowing when to step in and give direction.
- Guide peers through coaching, mentoring and/or training
- Experience in influencing at all levels in order to make the best engineering decisions.
- A desire to be onboard and part of our future to transform travel.
Everyone's career path is individual and different, so this is just a guide. At Holiday Extras, we're looking for diverse perspectives and big ideas from people who are curious and keen to learn. So even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job, you're encouraged to apply so that we can discover your unique talents!
There's a world of benefits waiting for you!
As well as being supported by a team who are rooting for you to be the best version of yourself, you'll be able to enjoy fantastic work environments in which to work and a world of competitive benefits including:
25 Days Holiday
Birthday Day Off
Gym Membership Discounts
Enhanced Parental Leave
Employee Assistance Programme
Cycle To Work Scheme
Electric Car Scheme
Discounts & Concessions
How we hire for this role
We know your time is precious, so we keep our hiring process as quick and easy as possible, being open with what to expect before and at each stage.
After submitting your application, if we believe you might be a match, you'll enter our hiring process...
You will have a call with our Tech Recruiter and be asked to complete a tech assessment via Codility.
We'll get back to you within 2 days with feedback and hopefully invite you to a pair programming session and interview.
Cultivating a diverse and inclusive culture is paramount for us.
As part of this, we have designed our hiring process so you can be comfortable to confidently convey your strengths and who you are.
Recognising we are all different, if for whatever reason you need us to adapt the process, please get in touch via [email protected].