eSIM for Travel - 2024 Guide
Enjoy hassle-free and more convenient travel abroad with eSIM - your ultimate data roaming companion!
Whether you're navigating through bustling city streets, hunting for the best local restaurants, or sharing those 'wish you were here' moments with friends, an eSIM keeps you in the loop without a hitch.
Enjoy secure connections and reliable coverage through trusted global network providers wherever you are. With just a few taps, your eSIM is activated and you're all set before you even pack your bags.
What is an eSIM?
Add that less hassle, more holiday feeling to your next trip and stay instantly connected upon arrival at your holiday destination. Short for 'embedded SIM', an eSIM is built into your device, offering a hassle-free, affordable alternative to traditional roaming.
Which UK networks offer eSIM?
All four of the UK's major mobile networks offer eSIM support, including EE, Vodafone, Three and O2. Additionally, outside of these major networks there are many other providers that support eSIM. Their functionality and associated costs depend on the network's international roaming policies and the specific eSIM plan you choose.
Can I buy an eSIM for travel online?
Yes, it's easy to purchase an eSIM online. Just ensure your smartphone is eSIM compatible and unlocked for international use first. Simply follow these steps:
- Select a network provider
- Choose the best plan that has enough data allowance for your trip
- Purchase online through the network providers site, or via a dedicated app
- You'll typically receive a QR code or digital eSIM via email to activate
How much does it cost to use an eSIM abroad?
Prices for eSIMs vary depending on network provider and the data plan you choose. Wave goodbye to scary roaming fees, with cost-effective and flexible plans that are tailor-made to suit you, matching your destination and trip length. International eSIMs are often cheaper than roaming add-ons, especially outside Europe.
Can I keep my mobile number with an eSIM?
Yes, you can keep your existing number when purchasing an eSIM for travel. You might get a temporary number associated with the eSIM, depending on the plan you choose though. Many modern smartphones are equipped with Dual SIM capabilities, allowing you to use both your regular SIM and an eSIM simultaneously.
Top reasons to choose eSIM
- Convenience: With an eSIM, there's no need to physically swap out SIM cards when you arrive in a new country. All you need to do is tap to download an eSIM and you're connected straight away.
- Budget-Friendly: Say a big 'farewell and goodbye' to those pesky roaming charges. Subscribe to local network plans when travelling abroad and save extra spending money for holiday experiences.
- Easy to activate: You can activate your eSIM with a simple click on an app or website, making it a hassle-free process, which can save you time when travelling abroad.
- Team with your favourite devices: Whether you'd like to seamlessly connect your smartphone, tablet, or laptop, eSIMs are a versatile option for various devices. So, you can stay connected, whatever the gadget.
- Enjoy instant connectivity: Once set up, eSIMs allow for almost instant connectivity to a new network. This means you can have access to data and communication services as soon as you land at your dream destination.
Planning your next getaway?
Be the first to save up to 20% off with exclusive Holiday Extras deals.