Travel Insurance Costa Rica
Planning a trip to the paradisal Costa Rica? Well now you've booked your flights and accommodation, your next port of call will be travel insurance, but don't stress over it, we've got you covered! Like with any holiday, you'll need a good, sound worldwide travel insurance policy to help you enjoy your trip fully with peace of mind, giving you that added safety net so you can just chill on the beach with a glass of something in hand!
Travel Insurance Costa Rica levels of cover
|Emergency medical and repatriation expenses|
|Curtailment and loss of holiday|
|Passport and other documents|
|Baggage Delay (outward journey)|
|Legal costs and expenses|
|Scheduled airline failure|
|End supplier failure|
*Or as specified on your schedule
Top 5 things to see and do in Costa Rica:
1. Arenal Volcano
Steam spouts from the top of Arenal volcano is a reminder of its once-explosive nature. Now, you can explore the volcano by hiking along one of its lava trails from 1968, as well as zip-lining and mountain biking.
To experience Tortuguero, you will have to take a boat or aircraft to this north-east island. However, the opportunity for wildlife in this remote area is worth the trip; as well as caiman and manatees, it is also one of the best places to view sea turtles.
This cloud forest wraps its greenery in a damp mist, which creates the perfect conditions for numerous different species of orchid and other plants.
4. Manuel Antonio National Park
Manuel Antonio is one of the most environmentally diverse national parks in Costa Rica, with both rainforest and pristine beaches fighting for your attention.
5. Corcovado National Park
Corcovado allows you to experience a wide range of wildlife at your fingertips, from jaguars in the forestry to sharks in the water.
It is recommended that travellers are up to date with all routine vaccines and get a booster shot for tetanus. You should also be vaccinated against hepatitis A, and some travellers may need rabies and typhoid injections. Even if you are vaccinated, you should still take out medical travel insurance for the duration of your trip.
If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, it is important to declare these when you're filling out the quote form! You know nothing in life is certain, and you just don't want to risk it with your health. Even if you've been somewhere fifty times, you still need to make sure you're covered for health insurance. There isn't anything worse than a huge medical bill landing on your lap if you break a bone or need medication. All of our policies have varying comprehensive cover from £5 million to £15 million, but you need to let us know if you have or have had any conditions.
Is it safe to travel to Costa Rica?
You should take precautions when travelling in Costa Rica; theft of passports and money is a problem, as is drink spiking and the work of 'unofficial' taxis. To prevent this, you should be careful when using ATM machines, stay aware of your surroundings and do not leave belongings unattended.
What should I pack for Costa Rica in January?
Although January is in Costa Rica's dry season, you should always pack a light rain jacket when entering the rainforest areas. Additionally, you should pack long trousers to prevent insect bites, suntan lotion and a torch, as electricity is likely to go out, especially in remote areas.
These tips will help you to prepare for your trip and ensure that you have the necessary equipment to enjoy your time in Costa Rica.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.