Senior Data Engineer
As a Senior Data Engineer at Holiday Extras you will play a key role in solving some of the most exciting and challenging problems the travel industry has right now. The biggest one is how we remove the unnecessary hassle from travelling so our customers can make the most of their precious holiday time - in fact, the whole reason why we exist.
We believe the answers lie in curating awesome data which helps us power intelligent, personal and useful conversations with our customers. We are at an exciting time in our data journey, as we are completing our migration to BigQuery, meaning all our reporting data is in one place with the business accessing it through Looker.
This is where you come in…
We're looking for Senior Data Engineers (who love to travel as much as we do!) to help build and maintain scalable, reliable pipelines supporting our migration to the Google Cloud as well as supporting other strategic business objectives.
You will be solution focussed and your experience in writing advanced SQL and creating robust and reliable pipelines will help us solve the complex problems we are faced with in order to offer intelligent recommendations to our customers.
In this exciting time for travel, we're on a mission to remake holidaymaking. You'll jump straight in with helping us finish our migration to Google BigQuery, clearing down the final pieces we need to deliver in order to be Tech Debt Free.
You will be involved across the company working on exciting data challenges, from improving the way we store and collect data to identifying new data products to add value to the business. You will be bringing your expertise and experience to further improve the way we do things.
What you will be working on:
- Getting stuck into the migration, helping the team to move our data processing away from DB2 in the most efficient way possible.
- Identifying and actioning opportunities to make data better at HX (eg new data products, or bringing in external data sources to enrich our data).
- Working closely with the business to anticipate data needs and to create value adding data products.
- Constantly looking for ways to improve our processes, across our data landscape.
- Identifying opportunities and influencing those around you to understand the potential value in our data.
- Decisively making and owning key technology decisions.
- Helping the business to understand how data contributes to the bigger picture.
- Getting in early where data is required, creating close relationships with the wider business and becoming known as the go-to person to discuss data before kick off.
Our CEO and Associate Director of Technology on why you should choose a tech career at Holiday Extras
Our tech stack
By using and developing pioneering technologies, we believe in providing value to our customers as fast as possible, deploying several hundreds times a day.
- Data Warehousing (Google BigQuery)
- MySQL / Postgres for operational Databases
- DB2 experience is a bonus but not essential
Let your career take flight
Personal development is super important to us so we have launched an exciting progression framework for our engineers that offers clarity on the expectations at each level. Custom built just for them, it recognises that everyone works and and develops in different ways - enabling engineers to tailor it to themselves and what is best for them.
Want to work abroad? No problem. Need part-time hours? Let us know what you'd like that to look like.
Remote working has been hardwired into our way of life for a long time, but we also have some amazing hubs you can access: in Kent (near the beaches in Hythe and the up-and-coming coastal town of Folkestone), Birmingham and Maidenhead.
Apply now if you have...
- Extensive experience working with BigQuery or similar cloud based data warehouse and writing advanced SQL queries.
- Experience working with Python & Airflow in a production environment.
- Experience working with Looker would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience building highly scalable and robust data pipelines.
- Experience working as a senior data engineer in a technology business.
- Strong leadership capability, demonstrating a culture of autonomy and responsibility - not afraid to make decisions and act quickly.
- Examples of a pragmatic approach to data delivery, understanding the pros (and cons) of shipping early and often.
- Strong collaboration skills with a range of people and teams - not afraid to challenge (with good intent and approach) to find the best solutions for our customers.
- Experience in influencing at all levels in order to make the best engineering decisions.
- A desire to be onboard and part of our future to transform travel.
Apply now if you want...
- A workplace culture that enables you to make the most of your time - both in and out of work.
- A team you can learn from and who can learn from you.
- A wider community of amazing people who are rooting for you and have your back.
- The ability to choose where and when you work.
- 25 days holiday
- Birthday day off
- Enhanced parental leave
- Life assurance
- Employee assistance programme
- Private medical insurance and health screening (after 4 years' service)
- Cycle-to-work schemes
- Electric car scheme
- Onsite fitness classes
Sound good? Here's the next steps...
Upload your CV and we'll be in touch!
Or if you'd like to have a chat first, please get in contact via [email protected].Apply Now
How we hire
You'll be asked to complete a technical assessment at some point within the process in addition to chatting to our Tech Recruiter.
For the final stages, we'll be delving into your experience with a scenario based coding task and interview where you can meet some of the team (with offices opening you're welcome to do this at our Kent campus).
As with our work, we move fast and make it clear of what's expected at each stage - supporting you all the way.