Exclusive email offers

Sign up for special offers direct to your inbox

Sign up now

We treat your privacy very seriously!

Related content

  • 14 Most Annoying Things People Do On Flights

    We've all been there. A calm, peaceful flight to that destination you've been dreaming about gets suddenly ruined...

  • 10 Travel Hacks That Will Blow Your Mind

    These travel hacks will save you some serious time.

  • 34 things you need to know about in-flight meals

    Learn everything you need to know about aeroplane food. Travel better with these 34 things you need to know about in-flight meals under your belt.

  • Best Airport Restaurants

    Travellers are becoming more and more sophisticated, so it’s great to see airport restaurants that offer a true taste of fine dining before take-off.

  • Airport tips

    Even the most seasoned traveller dreads an overcrowded airport. Check out our insider airport tips to make getting away a little easier.

  • The Best Airport Bars

    Going away this Christmas? We've scoured the UK’s best airport bars for the top tipples available to thirsty travellers during December and beyond.


Tips For Driving Overseas

A guide to driving the world safely.

Never beaten on price

The right insurance, breakdown cover, an international driving licence, driving on the wrong side? Help! Whether you're hiring a car or taking your own car abroad for your holiday, you'll need to get yourself organised and sort some essentials before you go. Take a look at our quick guide to driving overseas and let Holiday Extras make your travels easier.

Driving Overseas Paperwork

You can use your Great Britain or Northern Ireland driving licence in all EU countries, but you may need an International Driving Permit outside of this area. An IDP is available from the Post Office, the AA and the RAC, and costs £5.50. It's not a replacement for your normal driving licence, you'll need to take this too.

Drivers taking their own cars overseas need to carry the original vehicle registration document (V5c). If you are taking a car that you do not own, you will need a letter of authorisation from the registered owner and either the original V5c or a Vehicle on Hire certificate (VE103b).

As of June 8, 2015, if you want to hire a car in the UK or abroad you may be required to provide a DVLA code. In the past, the paper part of your licence showed any points received for breaking the rules - such as speeding tickets. Now all points will be stored online on gov.uk.

When you hire a car you may be asked for the code, which can be accessed online, or by calling the DVLA on 0300 790 6801. You'll need to provide your driving licence number as well as your National Insurance Number and postcode. Do note that the DVLA code will only be valid for 21 days.

For more information on the new DVLA code requirements, and to create the code, check out the gov.uk website.

Car Hire Overseas

Hiring a car abroad can be a minefield, so do it well in advance and online if you can. Look out for cheeky fuel policies and high child seat costs. You'll have plenty of time to compare deals and check the small print - and it's likely to be cheaper and less stressful than waiting until you arrive at your destination airport. Compare car hire costs in popular destinations around the world, as well as find specific destination driving requirements on our car hire page.

Check out our guide on the things you need to hire a car before your trip.

Car Hire Overseas Insurance

When renting a car, you'll be offered an array of insurance policies at a number of prices and levels. It is wise to take the hire company's basic cover and arrange your own car hire excess policy separately - expect to pay your rental firm a refundable deposit on your credit card.

If you're driving your own car, check that your insurance covers you for everything you need in your destination. You may only be covered for basic road traffic accidents or have third party cover. It could be worth extending your cover for your holiday. A free Green Card is also available, which proves that you are covered in the UK and entitled to basic third party insurance in most parts of Europe.

When hiring a car most suppliers include standard Collision Damage Waiver but there can often be a very high excess of up to £3000 with many exclusions! We offer a refund to cover your excess and all eventualities up to £3000.

Don't forget to take your insurance documents with you.

Breakdown Cover Driving Overseas

Your car rental agreement will include a basic level of breakdown cover, but you will be bombarded with a variety of optional extras. You probably don't need them.

When it's your own car you'll be driving overseas, check what your usual breakdown service includes. You might need to extend your cover before you go.

Rules of the road driving overseas

If you're planning on driving a car or renting a moped or motorbike overseas, check out the AA's comprehensive country by country advice on driving overseas or the FCO road safety widget. Rules change, so before every holiday make sure you check speed limits, the correct side to drive, overtaking etiquette, headlight settings, seat belt requirements, and the right kit to carry. And don't risk drinking alcohol at all when driving overseas.

Vehicle Kit for Driving Overseas

Whether you are driving to France or hiring a car upon arrival in Spain, give your hire car the once-over and make sure that it holds the right compulsory equipment. If you're driving your own car, get kitted out with the correct GB stickers, reflective jackets, warning triangle, first aid kit and so on for the country you are visiting - using the trusty AA guide above.

Don't waste money hiring a sat nav when you're away - buy an app that uses the GPS on your smartphone, or take your sat nav from home.

Pre-holiday service check

Before you take your car on holiday, give it a health check and get everything in working order.

At the very least, you should have your engine oil level, radiator coolant level, tyre tread and pressure, and screenwash level checked. Consider arranging your annual service check to coincide with your holiday to ensure that your brakes, exhaust, and fluid levels are all in working order.

Do the same for yourself too! By the time you get going on foreign soil, you'll be tired and impatient - be prepared and drive safe.

How do you prepare for driving overseas? Tell us below, and if you enjoyed this post like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter or follow our YouTube Channel.

Written by Maxine Clarke: a writer, mummy, missus and campervan-lover. Used to travel, now enjoys a good holiday! Follow her on Twitter.