Identifying rogue traders
It is tempting to book airport parking on the basis of price alone. That said, it would be prudent to recall that a if a price is too good to be true, it usually is. Customers should be aware, therefore, of the risks involved in booking reputable airport parking. But how can airport parking customers identify the genuine article and the mark of the rogue? Below we detail a few tell-tale signs that should aid identification of what exactly is the real deal, and what should be avoided.
Which? provides a comprehensive overview of what to look out for when booking online. Among its advice, it recommends that a reputable website should:
- Tell you exactly what is included in the price.
- Offer a secure booking page.
- Provide clear and comprehensible terms and conditions.
- Provide a good FAQ section to help resolve any potential issues.
- Make clear the exact cost of booking with a card.
Leading BBC consumer programme Watchdog investigated rogue traders in airport parking as recently as 2008. Following its investigation of a Meet and Greet parking service, it provided a few handy hints on booking airport parking:
- Is the member of staff greeting you wearing a uniform and carrying an ID badge? If so, does it match up with the company you think you are dealing with in the location which you're at?
- Are you conducting business in a designated location? Not having a premises is a clear indication that something is amiss.
- Check where the company will be storing your car. Can they point to their storage facility? If it is off site, can they tell you where it is? Does the company own the storage facility?
- Ask whether the car park has received the industry-recognised Park Mark®. This is awarded to car parking facilities that having undergone annual police assessment.
- Ensure you get a proper receipt. Check that the receipt shows the company's details. Does the company name match? Is the address correct?
If you are unsure of the legitimacy of the company you are dealing with, steer clear of making a booking. Always carry out extensive research of your own. Past customer reviews, industry awards, and a rich and successful company history are just a number of indicators that a company provides a reputable service.
Holiday Extras, with experience since 1983, of providing travel add-ons for discerning travellers, offers airport parking that is secured and great value for money. Why not see what some of our former customers recommend?