Sitting alongside far larger cities as one of Americas finest, San Francisco is a real symbol of the American dream. As soon as you touch down youll feel the citys energy, and as you approach colossal structures like the Golden Gate Bridge its hard not to be inspired.
First-time visitors are often amazed by the energy of San Francisco. Populated by the creative and charismatic, its a city with a reputation for innovation and booming success, and it knows how to celebrate.
Whether you want to sit back and take in a glamorous show, or dance the night away in a jazz bar, theres plenty to do for both individuals and families. You could take a cable car over the city centre for an alternative view, or take the evocative trip to Alcatraz Island. And there are plenty of green areas to relax in, like Golden Gate Park, an urban oasis.
Top 5 things to do in San Francisco
Choosing from the flood of attractions in San Francisco can be difficult. Weve listed some of our preferred activities:
- Enjoy sand and fishing hotspots on Baker Beach
- Kayak beneath the Bay Bridge and see the city from the water
- Take a day trip to Yosemite National Park, where you can marvel at waterfalls, go for a bike ride and spot black bears
- Visit the Orpheum for opera and musicals
- Watch the San Francisco Giants baseball team or the 49ers NFL team in action
San Franciscos top 5 landmarks
Some of the landmarks in San Francisco are known around the world. Make sure you visit the following:
- The Golden Gate Bridge is one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World
- Union Square is an historic Civil War site, and the location of the Emporio Rulli half-price theatre ticket booth
- Brave The Rock. Alcatraz was Americas first military prison
- Browse the Palace of the Fine Arts within the iconic Presidio
- Spot Coit Tower from one of the famous cable cars that span the hills of San Francisco