South Africa Car Hire - Discounted Car Rentals from Top Providers
Pre-book your Majorca Airport car hire, with prices starting from just £14.11 per day with FREE cancellations*
In terms of diversity, there's few countries that can top South Africa. From sprawling metropolitan cities famed for their nightlife, to vast wildernesses and a world famous National Park, South Africa has something for everyone. Hiring a car enables you to experience this beautiful land at your own pace, and gives you the freedom to go where you want, when you want. Our three-step car hire booking process will find the perfect car hire for you, even at the last minute.
Car Rental Locations in South Africa
Holiday Extras provides cheap car hire in South Africa across hundreds of locations, including all major international airports. Some of the more well known locations include:
- Cape Town
- George Town
- Port Elizabeth
3 steps to cheap car hire
- Search - fill out your details above and click search to compare
- Select - choose the car you want to hire
- Book - with our secure payment system
How it Works
Once your booking has been made, you will receive a confirmation email with your booking reference number. Make sure you take this information with you, as you will need it when collecting your car. We've also created a useful checklist to help ensure you have everything prepared before you depart.
If you wish to speak to an advisor, you can contact our dedicated car hire team on 0800 804 7362. Alternatively you can contact us online here with any queries you may have.
If you're simply looking for transportation to your resort, Holiday Extras also provides highly competitive deals on resort transfers. As well as this, you can also take out holiday insurance, giving you further peace of mind should you run into any unforeseen problems.
If you're flying from a UK airport, we could help you save up to 60% on airport parking, airport hotels and airport lounges too.
*The prices quoted are based on one driver, aged 25, with a full UK driving licence hiring a car for 3 days, picking-up and dropping-off at Cape Town International Airport. Prices correct at time of writing. Subject to availability. Free cancellation applies to most rentals up to 48 hours before pick up, however some suppliers may charge. Please check supplier terms and conditions carefully.
Driving on South Africa's roads**
South Africa is one of the few countries in the world that has similar driving laws as the UK; the only main difference being that they are written in kilometres per hour as opposed to the English miles per hour. Nevertheless, it's useful to know some of the regional laws and driving practices South Africa adheres to.
Road safety laws
- Right hand drive - Drive on the left, overtake on the right.
- Minimum age for car hire - Car hire companies in South Africa require you to be 18 years of age to rent a vehicle.
- Seatbelt - It is compulsory for all occupants to wear a seatbelt. The driver is responsible for ensuring all passengers are wearing a seatbelt.
- Travelling with children - Children under 3 must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
- Petrol stations - Most petrol stations in South Africa are open 7am to 7pm, with some open 24 hours a day. Many petrol stations do not accept credit cards, so it is recommended to carry some cash on you (South African Rand) at all times.
- Speed limits - Road signs are in kilometres per hour and in English.
- Toll roads - Ensure you check your route before departing, as many national roads between major cities have a toll road system in place.
- Urban freeways and highways - 120kph/75mph
- Rural roads - 100kph/60mph
- Built up areas - 60kph/35mph
Although these are the standardised speed limits, there may be local variations so please be careful to check the road signs.
Important Information - Changes to the UK Driving Licence
If you are not from the UK, most car rental companies will require you to present the driving licence that is issued by your country of residence; not an International licence, or permit. Please double check with an individual car hire company if you are unsure.
Although an International Driving Permit (IDP) is not legally required to drive in South Africa, in the event of an accident, authorities will often ask for this in addition to your driving licence. As such we recommend obtaining one before you travel. Additionally, all non photographic driver's licences must be accompanied by an IDP.
Mobile phone use
It is an offence to use a mobile phone while driving. Being caught doing so may result in a heavy fine. Completely hands-free kits are permitted.
Drinking and driving
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a very serious offence in South Africa. Police have the authority to issue substantial fines and in some extreme cases, revoke your licence. The South African legal blood alcohol limit is 0.05g per 100ml.
It is important to note that drinking and driving may invalidate your car rental insurance and holiday insurance, irrespective of local drink driving laws. Check your policy for full details.
**This information should be considered as a broad overview of things to remember when hiring a car. It is therefore very important that you read the rental terms and conditions and associated policies for your own specific policy as well as doing your own research into the motoring laws of the country in which you will be driving.