Loading, please wait...
Cape Town Car Hire - Award-winning car rental deals
Pre-book your Cape Town car hire, with prices starting from just £12.81 per day with FREE cancellations*
Cape Town, one of South Africa's capital cities, offers an eclectic mix of culture, food, entertainment, and history; all nestled under the shadow of Table Mountain. This national park is without a doubt what the city is famous for, and it's a experience not to be missed. There is so much more to the city though, if you know where to look.
Something that immediately hits you when you arrive in Cape Town is the mix of people and their cultures. It's a country where people from all walks of life, be it culturally or religiously are welcomed, giving a wonderful atmosphere to the city. This alone is enough to keep people coming back to Cape Town time and time again.
Areas such as Green Point Park and the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens offer a lush and thriving environment to experience at your leisure; a perfect place to relax and enjoy the South African climate. Our simple car hire booking process will find the perfect car hire for you, even if you're booking at the last minute.
3 steps to cheap car hire
- Search - fill out your details above and click search to compare
- Select - choose the car you want to hire
- Book - with our secure payment system
How it Works
Once your booking has been made, you will receive a confirmation email with your booking reference number. Make sure you take this information with you, as you will need it when collecting your car. We've also created a useful checklist to help ensure you have everything prepared before you depart.
If you wish to speak to an advisor, you can contact our dedicated car hire team on 0800 804 7362. Alternatively you can contact us online here with any queries you may have.
If you're simply looking for transportation to your resort, Holiday Extras also provides highly competitive deals on resort transfers. As well as this, you can also take out holiday insurance, giving you further peace of mind should you run into any unforeseen problems.
*The prices quoted are based on one driver, aged 25, with a full UK driving licence hiring a car for 3 days, picking-up and dropping-off at Cape Town International Airport. Prices correct at time of writing. Subject to availability. Free cancellation applies to most rentals up to 48 hours before pick up, however some suppliers may charge. Please check supplier terms and conditions carefully.
Driving in Cape Town**
South Africa is one of the few countries in the world that has similar driving laws as the UK; the only main difference being that they are written in kilometres per hour as opposed to the English miles per hour. Nevertheless, it's useful to know some of the regional laws and driving practices South Africa adheres to.
Road safety laws
- Right hand drive - Drive on the left, overtake on the right.
- Minimum age for car hire - Car hire companies in South Africa require you to be 18 years of age to rent a vehicle.
- Seatbelt - It is compulsory for all occupants to wear a seatbelt. The driver is responsible for ensuring all passengers are wearing a seatbelt.
- Travelling with children - Children under 3 must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
- Petrol stations - Most petrol stations in South Africa are open 7am to 7pm, with some open 24 hours a day. Many petrol stations do not accept credit cards, so it is recommended to carry some cash on you (South African Rand) at all times.
- Speed limits - Road signs are in kilometres per hour and in English.
- Toll roads - Ensure you check your route before departing, as many national roads between major cities have a toll road system in place.
- Urban freeways and highways - 120kph/75mph
- Rural roads - 100kph/60mph
- Built up areas - 60kph/35mph
Although these are the standardised speed limits, there may be local variations so please be careful to check the road signs.
If you are not from the UK, most car rental companies will require you to present the driving licence that is issued by your country of residence; not an International licence, or permit. Please double check with an individual car hire company if you are unsure.
Although an International Driving Permit (IDP) is not legally required to drive in South Africa, in the event of an accident, authorities will often ask for this in addition to your driving licence. As such we recommend obtaining one before you travel. Additionally, all non photographic driver's licences must be accompanied by an IDP.
Mobile phone use
It is an offence to use a mobile phone while driving. Being caught doing so may result in a heavy fine. Completely hands-free kits are permitted.
Drinking and driving
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a very serious offence in South Africa. Police have the authority to issue substantial fines and in some extreme cases, revoke your licence. The South African legal blood alcohol limit is 0.05g per 100ml.
It is important to note that drinking and driving may invalidate your car rental insurance and holiday insurance, irrespective of local drink driving laws. Check your policy for full details.
**This information should be considered as a broad overview of things to remember when hiring a car. It is therefore very important that you read the rental terms and conditions and associated policies for your own specific policy as well as doing your own research into the motoring laws of the country in which you will be driving.Top