Loading, please wait...
Faro Car Hire - Explore Top Discounts on Portugal Car Rental
Pre-book your Faro Airport car hire, with prices starting from just £6.97 per day with FREE cancellations*
Booking car hire in Faro through Holiday Extras is quick and easy. We can help you find the ideal car rental even at the last minute, letting you hit the road happy, knowing you're with a trusted supplier. By booking with Holiday Extras, you could save with discounted Faro car rentall prices.
Our simple Faro car hire booking process compares all the best cheap car hire deals from only the most trusted car hire companies in Faro. We have vehicles for any occasion; from small city cars, estate/saloon cars to SUVs and even people carriers, so no matter what journey you have ahead of you, we'll have the vehicle for you.
Take to the road explore the beauty of Southern Portugal
Unlike many other resort towns in Portugal, Faro has a more distinctly traditional feel to it. Steeped in Medieval history, many of the original buildings still stand, providing excellent historical provenance to the region. If you want to put your feet up and relax, Faro's famous beaches are just a short drive from the town, and to fuel your spirit of adventure, why not take a drive down to the Ria Formosa Natural Park and admire the breathtaking lagoons and wildlife unique to this corner of the world.
3 steps to cheap car hire
- Search - fill out your details above and click search to compare
- Select - choose the car you want to hire
- Book - with our secure payment system
How it Works
Once your payment has been authorised you will receive an email confirmation with your booking reference number. Keep all the information on your booking confirmation handy as you will need it along with your other documents when you collect the car at your destination. We also have a useful checklist to make sure you have everything you need before you set off.
If you wish to speak to an advisor, you can contact our dedicated car hire team on 0800 804 7362. Alternatively you can contact us online here with any queries you may have.
If you're looking simply for transportation to your resort, Holiday Extras provides great deals on resort transfers. As well as this, you can take also out holiday insurance, giving you further peace of mind should you run into any unforeseen problems.
At Holiday Extras we want to make your trip as hassle free as possible, so you can hit the road happy. If you're flying from a UK airport, we could help you save up to 60% on airport parking, airport hotels and airport lounges, too.
Car Rental in Faro
If you're flying direct to Faro, there are several car hire locations a short distance from Faro Airport (as well as one in the airport itself), to get you on your way as quickly and as hassle-free as possible.
Faro Car Rental Locations
- Faro Airport
- Faro Montenegro
Please ensure that you are aware of the correct rental location and opening times, especially as some larger cities will have multiple car hire sites. Your booking confirmation should provide all the necessary address and contact details. If there is any confusion you should call your particular car hire company.
*The prices quoted are based on one driver, aged 25, with a full UK driving licence hiring a car for 3 days, picking-up and dropping-off at Faro Airport. Prices correct at time of writing. Subject to change according to availability. Free cancellation applies to most rentals up to 48 hours before pick up, however some suppliers may charge. Please check supplier terms and conditions carefully. 20% saving only applies to car hire bookings for a minimum length of 3 days and a maximum length of 21 days.
Driving on Portugal's roads**
Here are a few local laws and customs that you may find useful when driving in Portugal. This is a rough guide and should be used in conjunction with the terms and conditions stipulated by your car hire company, as well as your own research about driving laws in Portugal.
- Left hand drive - Drive on the right-hand side of the road, overtake on the left.
- Minimum age to hire - Be at least 21 or 25 years old, with at least one years driving experience (depending on car hire policy). Under 25's may have to pay a young driver surcharge.
- Seatbelt - Portuguese law requires all car occupants to wear a seatbelt.
- Children under 12 - Must not travel in the front of a vehicle.
- Mobile phones - It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving, unless using a handsfree kit or earphones.
- Petrol stations - Petrol stations are normally open from 08:00-20:00. On motorways and in city centres, some may be 24/7.
- Unleaded petrol - Sem chumbo
- Diesel - Diesel
- Leaded - Chumbado
- Toll Roads - A motorway toll system is in place throughout most of Portugal. See below for more details.
- Motorways - 120kph/75mph
- Major carriageways - 100kph/62mph
- Normal roads - 90kph/56mph
- Built up areas - 50kph/31mph
Although these are the standardised speed limits, there may be local variations so please be careful to check the road signs.
Portuguese authorities can issue on-the-spot fines for a number of offences, including but not limited to:
- Speeding offences
- Drink driving
- Failing to produce, when asked, the correct driving documents
- Not wearing a seatbelt
Drinking and driving
It is against the law to drive with 50mg or more of alcohol per 100ml of blood. This is lower than the alcohol limit in the UK of 80mg per 100ml.
It is important to note that drinking alcohol and then driving may invalidate your car rental insurance, irrespective of local drink driving laws. Check your policy for full details.
There are two variations of toll road in Portugal. Traditional motorways with manned toll booths and unmanned electronic toll motorways.
Manned toll roads - Payment can be made with either cash or credit card. These motorways also have the Via Verde (Green channel), an electronic toll system that allows drivers to make a payment by bank debit and is for the sole use for those fitted with an electronic device in their car.
Unmanned electronic toll roads - These motorways are exclusively for those driving vehicles fitted with an electronic transponder that is linked to a Portuguese bank account. These are signposted, in English, as 'Electronic toll only'.
Check with your hire company - Many car rental companies now fit transponders into their vehicles so you may not have to worry about which roads you should or should not use. However, you may want to check with your specific car hire company before setting off.
A UK driving licence will allow you to drive in Portugal, and you will not need an IDP - International Driving Permit.
Passport - You may also be required to carry another form of personal ID with you while driving.
Other things to know:
- Flashing headlights - If someone is flashing their lights at you, it means they want you to give way.
- No honking your horn - You should not use your horn when driving at night, except in an emergency.
- Giving way - Vehicles approaching you from the right have priority in squares and at intersections. Cars already on a roundabout have right of way.
- Motorway green lane - You can use these lanes if your hire car is fitted with a transponder for automatic payment system at tolls. Check with your car hire company. If a transponder is not fitted, do not use the Green Lane (Via Verde).
**This information should be considered as a broad overview of things to remember when hiring a car. It is therefore very important that you read the rental terms and conditions and associated policies for your own specific policy as well as doing your own research into the motoring laws of the country in which you will be driving.Top