Best things to do in the summer
Japan is a wonderful country to visit either solo or with friends and family. With warm temperatures and a great climate, it's the best time of year to explore some of Japan's most popular tourist attractions.
The temperatures and humidity are high during the summer, which means rain can be a possibility. However, even if it rains, its usually business as normal across the country. Stalls will only close if a monsoon hits.
June to August bring with it not only good weather but also festivals, here's a list of our top 5:
- PL Founder's Festival Fireworks Art
- Nagaoka Festival
- Ueno Summer Festival
- Nebuta Festival
- Hanagasa Festival
If travelling to Japan during this time, check to see what festivals are occurring so that you don't miss out.
How cold does it get in the summer?
The average low temperature of Japan in the summer months is 22°C. You will also experience an average of 15 – 20 days of rainfall during this time and generally high humidity.
What months are Japan's summer?
Japan's summer months are the same as the UK, from June to August.
What are the hottest months in Japan?
August is the hottest month with an average of 26°C. Though this weather is ideal, it doesn't come without its risks. July to October is Japan's typhoon season, meaning tropical storms, earthquakes, and in extreme circumstances, tsunamis can occur. The highest risk period of a typhoon storm is in August so be sure to pack a light raincoat or umbrella.
Throughout the hotter months, your chances of seeking Mt. Fuji are also slim. However, this does not mean Japan in summer is not a great time to visit. Before arriving, though it's a good idea to get travel insurance for Japan that covers natural disasters in case one occurs. See if this is covered with your travel insurance first.
If you enjoyed this article and would like more info on travel to Japan, check out our other posts on the topic...
- Top things to see and do in Japan
- Tips for first-time travellers to Japan
- Kyoto: Things to see and do
- Tokyo: Things to see and do
- Best places for sushi in Tokyo
- Osaka: Things to see and do
- Sapporo: Things to see and do
- Coffee in Japan
- Top 5 Ramen shops in Tokyo
- The History of Ramen
- Is ramen healthy?
- Winter in Japan: Best things to do
- How much does it cost to visit Japan?
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848, Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address, Ashford road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is registered in Ireland No. 306045. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac’s Registered Office is First Floor, Rineanna House, Shannon Free Zone, Shannon, County Clare, Republic of Ireland. White Horse Insurance Ireland dac is authorised and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. The nature and extent of consumer protections may differ from those for firms based in the UK. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website, our FRN is 203320.