You may be considering to make the move and retire abroad – perhaps somewhere a little sunnier? However, before you do so, it's vital that you check any visa requirements to live there and that you are entitled to begin claiming the state pension.

As a pensioner, you can technically stay overseas for as long as you want, provided you've undergone all the correct legal and visa documents to move. However, there are some steps you'll need to undergo first. Here's a list of the authorities you'll need to contact before you make the move:

  • Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • The International Pension Centre
  • Your local government (council) and provide them with a forwarding address
  • If you're only moving abroad temporarily, then you can keep claiming Disability Benefits: Attendance Allowance (AA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for up to 13 weeks. Taking out a seniors travel insurance policy is a good way to protect your belongings while you're away.

Can I get a UK state pension if I live abroad?

You can claim state pension abroad if you've paid in enough National Insurance contributions. In the space of four months before your pension age, you're allowed to make a claim for it and you must send the international claim form to the International Pension Centre to do so.

However when it comes to how much your pension will increase every year, it is a different story. You'll only receive yearly increases to your State Pension in the following countries:

  • Switzerland and EEA countries
  • Sovereign states that have a social security agreement with the United Kingdom (you will find more info at
  • If you're still not sure of what your rights are in terms of the State Pension, then contacting HMRC is always advised to get a little more information on what you're entitled to.

Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.

Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.