Interrailing has become a phenomenon in recent years. Whether you want to go down the well-travelled routes or are on the look-out for something different, you'll be able to find the right destination for you on this list.
If you're planning to travel to Europe, it's advisable ensure that you have interrail travel insurance that will cover you in the event of an accident or emergency.
Top 10 interrail destinations
1. Budapest, Hungary
With its beautiful Buda Castle along the Danube, as well as its breath-taking Heroes' square and cultural monuments, Budapest is the best of both worlds when it comes to sight-seeing and cultural history.
2. Berlin, Germany
Berlin is home to both history and artsy districts. Whether you plan to visit iconic structures such as the Brandenburg gate or party all night, Berlin has the best of both worlds.
3. Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Home of a teeming nightlife and charming architecture, interrailers can cover the whole city in just a matter of days. The most popular way to enjoy the city is by bike, or by strolling along its many canals.
4. Bucharest, Romania
Whether you want to explore the old town or stroll around its parks, Bucharest makes a relaxing break from travel for every wanderer.
5. Prague, Czech Republic
Prague is one of the best examples of European charm, with its narrow streets and quaint cafes giving this city its fame.
6. Vienna, Austria
There is more to do in Austria than going on a ski trip. Vienna is home to dazzling architecture and thrills in the form of Prater park and its winter Christmas markets.
7. Athens, Greece
Athens is home to some of the great wonders of ancient society, from the Acropolis to Hadrian's library. What makes this city even more perfect for interrailers is that entry to the ancient sites is completely free for students.
8. Paris, France
Paris, the romantic hotspot, has never looked better, with sprawling cafes, the famous Eiffel Tower and the Louvre's paintings to take in - you may even want to stop at Disneyland for a well-earned treat.
9. Seville, Spain
Seville is the garden of Spain, with luxurious parks and gardens and the Alcazar providing a peaceful afternoon or two on the way to some of the larger Spanish cities.
10. Copenhagen, Denmark
Most museums are free in Copenhagen, and so you can spend the day exploring its history, with easy accessibility to all areas of the city by bike.
Useful interrail links
- Keeping your things safe when interrailing
- How to meet cool people when interrailing
- How to save money when interrailing
- What to pack for an interrail trip
- What interrail pass should I buy?
- How to pick a good hostel
- How does interrailing work?
- Best interrail routes
- Staying safe while interrailing
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.