Loading, please wait...
Get the whole family insured from as little as *
Visiting friends and family abroad
Whether you're visiting friends living abroad, or travelling back home for a family reunion, you'll want to make sure your trip is protected by a comprehensive travel insurance policy with coverage for medical emergencies, cancellations and lost baggage.
Why get travel insurance for visiting relatives abroad?
If you're planning a trip to visit relatives abroad, it can often feel like you're returning to a second home - and this feeling of comfort can sometimes mean we're inclined to take a more relaxed approach to travel preparations.
Like with any holiday, when visiting family and friends abroad, there's still the possibility of facing cancellations, lost baggage and medical emergencies. In these instances, having a reliable travel insurance policy in place can save a lot of potential heartache and stress.
What travel insurance do I need for visiting family and friends abroad?
To choose an appropriate travel insurance policy, you'll need to take into account a few basic considerations, like where you'll be travelling to, whether you'll be travelling alone or in a group, how long you'll be away for and whether you have any pre-existing medical conditions. Answering all these questions accurately will ensure that you're sufficiently covered when taking a trip to visit the family.
So what are you covered for?
Annual multi-trip policy
If you're planning several trips throughout the year, then it may be a good idea to take out an annual multi-trip policy. This will have you covered for an unlimited number of trips in a 365 day period, so long as each trip includes a minimum of 1 overnight stay, and doesn't exceed the maximum trip duration**.
If you're a family of frequent travellers then you've definitely got the right idea! Whether you're flying solo or with the whole gang, if you embark on more than two trips a year then a family annual trip policy could potentially save you some serious money in the long term. You'll receive cover for an unlimited number of trips given that each trip does not exceed the said trip duration.
The perks of family travel insurance
- Adults named on the same policy can travel independently (ensuring that no under 18's travel unaccompanied).
- One policy for the whole family means one payment - and only one policy to look after!
- 24/7 Emergency assistance.†
How do I book?
Our competitively priced family travel insurance is easy to book. You can choose to book online by completing the booking engine above or via our UK-based call centre. It's free to call and you'll be able to discuss and compare our policies with a member of our insurance call centre team.
Visit our HX Blog for some top tips for happy family travels.
If you found our tips on family travel useful, then check out our other helpful articles on this topic.
- Family and friends railcards
- Cheap family holidays
- Best family holidays in Europe
- Top family adventure holidays
- Lapland holidays
- Wildlife safari holidays
- Family winter sports holidays
- Family camping holidays
- Best budget family destinations
- Tips for first family trip abroad
- Best family destinations 2019
- Two together railcard
- UK school holidays
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.