Lapland Family Holidays
Visiting the North Pole is the dream Christmas family holiday for many — meeting Santa, petting Rudolph and going on a husky ride are usually at the top of every child's agenda. If you are planning on making a Lapland holiday, along with the right travel insurance for Lapland, this guide will help you to make the most of your trip, with travel advice on ice sculptures, crossing the Arctic Circle and experiencing the magnificence of the Northern Lights.
Lapland Family Holidays
If you're thinking about taking the whole family involved with your trip, you will want to pick hotels and other accomodation that is absolutely perfect for children to maximise your family's time spent there. There are some terrific recommendations made by TUI, who focus on giving up-to-date weather reports and hotel recommendations. Ingham's have a large variety of deals offered which look very tempting for families.
Perhaps your family is a little older and want to take part in more challenging activities like snow-mobiling, sledging and dog-sledding? If this is the case then you should check out Activities Abroad for an abundance in snow holiday information.
Of course, if you do decide to take your family on an action-packed snowy holiday, you might want to cover yourself further with winter sports insurance, protecting you in the event of any medical emergencies, piste closure and equipment cover.
Is Lapland in the North Pole?
Lapland is in Finland, straddling the upper regions of the Arctic Circle, with its capital being Rovaniemi. The Arctic Circle is (wait for it...) a circle, an imaginary one at that, which runs in parallel of the equator at 66°30? N. You can physically cross it too, just 8km north of the city centre of Rovaniemi there is Santa Claus village. It is clearly marked there and you can even get a certificate to prove that you have crossed it.
Where is Santa in Lapland?
You can visit Santa at his office in the Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi, Lapland, on the border of the Arctic Circle. The Santa Claus Village also includes an opportunity to see Santa's reindeer, his toy workshop and go on Santa themed rides at Santa Park.
Can you see the Northern Lights in Lapland?
The Northern Lights can be seen in Lapland around every other day between September and March on clear nights. You can usually see these after 6 pm until 2 am and you should keep a look out at all times, as they can come and go unexpectedly. When booking a trip to Finland and taking part in nature-based activities, it's a good idea to take out comprehensive travel insurance for the family to cover you in the event of injury.
Best places to stay in Lapland
Santa's Hotel Aurora is one of the best choices of accommodation for those wanting to see the Northern Lights. With glass-ceilinged rooms and an aurora alarm system, this hotel will give you the best chance of seeing the Northern Lights during your stay.
Santa's Hotel Tunturi is good for families with nature on their minds, with hiking trails and skiing routes only a few kilometres from this luxury hotel. You can get a room from £134 a night, and it is also close to husky ride companies.
More family winter holiday inspiration
If you found our tips on family travel useful, then check out our other helpful articles on this topic:
- Family and friends railcards
- Cheap family holidays
- Best family holidays in Europe
- Top family adventure holidays
- Wildlife safari holidays
- Family winter sports holidays
- Family camping holidays
- Best budget family destinations
- Tips for first family trip abroad
- Two together railcard
- Visiting family abroad
- UK school holidays
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.