Cheap UK Family Holidays
Staycations are becoming increasingly popular among young families with the cost of flights and UK summer temperatures rising; 2020 might be the best year yet to explore your home country.
Even though you aren't setting sail or flying away, you still might have invested money in travel, accommodation and possibly pre-planned activities. With a travel insurance policy specifically for the UK you are covered against trip cancellation, missed or delayed departure, and baggage cover.
Through avoiding costly airline fares and expensive resort hotels and inflated European prices aimed at tourists, you can save a small fortune for your family and still have a great time. Without having to go too far afield you can discover some of the most picturesque, unspoilt locations in the UK. Take Scotland for example, you can witness the spectactular views of Glendale (see the image below) or Glencoe and feel like the peaks and troughs of its valleys, or its staggering cliffs are from an entirely distant corner of the world.
Top 5 destinations for families on a budget
Devon is a fantastic place to take children on a budget, from the Big Sheep to the numerous pleasant beaches all year round. Devon is a fantastic place to camp or stay in holiday lodges and log cabins, as the county is full of green forestry and other reserves.
Cornwall is the traditional family holiday destination, with sandy beaches and warmer weather than the rest of the UK. From the boats of Padstow to the walking trails that lead up to Lands End, Cornwall can sometimes seem as exotic as the beaches of Spain and Portugal.
The Jurassic Coast and Weymouth is home to a host of natural attractions such as Durdle Door and many cliff-top walking trails as well as Sandworld, the Sea Life Centre and a historic fort, all in the small but well-loved town of Weymouth.
Whether you want to explore the set of Heartbeat, walk through the moors, ride a traditional steam train or visit the Brontë's house at Haworth, Yorkshire is full of natural wonders and landscapes that both you and your children will love. For a town-based experience, you should stay in York, a wonderful, historic town with child-friendly attractions such as The Chocolate Story and York Museum. You can also visit other areas of Yorkshire on the best coach trips.
Brighton, the original seaside resort, still gets floods of tourists every summer. Whether you want to explore the arcades on the Victorian pier or wander around the quirky streets, and jewellers and antique shops at the Lanes, the choice is yours.
When planning a holiday, it's always worth protecting you and your family's holiday against any last-minute cancellations with a family travel insurance.
The UK can make just as perfect a holiday destination as many European holiday resorts, with its sandy beaches, lush forests and historic coastlines.
Family holiday resorts
If you're looking for inspiration for cheap family holiday resorts in the UK, take a look at the list we've compiled for you:
Further information for family holidays
If you found our tips on family travel useful, then check out our other helpful articles on this topic.
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is sold and administered by Holiday Extras Cover Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registration number 828848.
Holiday Extras™ is a Trading Name of Holiday Extras Cover Limited
Holiday Extras Travel Insurance is provided by Taurus Insurance Services, an insurance intermediary licenced and authorised in Gibraltar by the Financial Services Commission under Permission Number 5566 and authorised to passport general insurance intermediary services into the UK and registered with the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK under registration number 444830.
The insurance is underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE. Great Lakes Insurance SE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.