Loading, please wait...
Keeping you protected on your global adventure
One of the most freeing ways to explore the world at your own pace and in your own way is to get behind the wheel and hire a car. The freedom that hiring your own car brings offers up opportunities you just couldn't get when confined to public transport.
If you're looking to get behind the wheel and become captain of your own trip, then it's important to make sure you're protected. Although rare, accidents can happen, and you don't want to be left with extortionate costs that leave you out of pocket and ruins your holiday. That's where Holiday Extras car hire excess insurance comes in.
In simple terms, a car hire excess is the voluntary amount you would be expected to pay towards damage to a rented vehicle, should any damage the vehicle occur. There's no standardisation of costs when it comes to these charges, and they vary from company to company, but these costs can often go into the thousands. They tend to be hidden in the small print too, so you can be left having to foot extortionate bills for something as minor as a scratch on the vehicle. For a more comprehensive breakdown of Car Hire Excess Insurance, see here.
Holiday Extras is here to make sure that doesn't happen.
We'll make sure your excess is covered, meaning in the unfortunate case of an accident, your excess is protected. Holiday Extras car hire excess insurance works by a reimbursement basis, meaning that anything you have to pay in excesses in the event on an accident, we'll refund to you.
Holiday Extras also provides travel insurance for your entire trip, or car hire excess cover as an add-on to your comprehensive travel insurance cover, should you need it. Holiday Extras trusted car hire excess insurance protects you against any unexpected charges from the rental company, should the hire car become damaged, or involved in an accident.
Car Hire Excess summary of cover*
|Excess / Deposit reimbursement|
|Rental car key cover
- Lost, stolen or damaged keys
- Lock out
£500 (£2,000 within the policy year)
*This is a summary of the main cover limits. It is advised to read the rest of the policy for the full terms and conditions
Note: This policy is not a motor insurance policy, nor is it a primary damage policy covering the insured vehicle. Section 1 of this policy only covers the amount of the excess you are responsible for under the terms of your rental agreement and not the full value of the insured vehicle itself.
European and Worldwide cover
Our excess insurance for car hire abroad covers both Europe and the rest of the world**, so regardless of where it is you're travelling to, you'll be able to rent a car, safe in the knowledge that, no matter where you are, should an accident happen, you're covered. With global events such as the Tokyo Olympics, where hiring a car is the best way to get around, you'll want to be protected.
Daily car hire excess insurance
If you're only travelling once or twice per year, then daily car hire excess insurance is the option for you. With daily car hire excess insurance, you'll only be paying for the days of your car hire cover period. This policy is valid for single trips that do not exceed 94 consecutive days.
Annual car hire excess insurance
If you're a regular traveller who often takes out car hire wherever you're visiting, then it's worth considering an annual insurance policy. Not only does this eliminate the time and hassle of booking cover every time you travel, but you can also make savings buying in bulk, as it were. As long as each individual trip doesn't exceed 62 consecutive days, you'll make huge savings on you car hire excess insurance.
Making a claim
If you need to make a claim on your car hire insurance policy, there are a few things you'll need. The process is both simple and straightforward. Here's some important information on what you need to make a general claim:
- Your original policy schedule, vehicle rental agreement and travel documents showing the dates and times of travel.
- Original bills or invoices you are asked to pay.
- Original receipts and accounts for any out-of-pocket expenses you have to pay.
- A copy of the driving license of the person driving the insured vehicle at the time of the accident.
**The only countries excluded from our cover are Afghanistan, Belarus, Congo, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Liberia, North Korea, Burma, Sudan and Zimbabwe (as well as any destinations to which the government advises against travel).
- Travel insurance homepage
- Travel insurance FAQs
- Our policies:
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Our cover levels:
- Bronze cover policy
- Silver cover policy
- Gold cover policy
- Platnium cover policy
- Additional cover:
- Gadget Travel Insurance
- Sports Travel Insurance
- Ski Insurance
- Water Sports Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- What Happens If You Miss Your Flight?
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Family travel:
- Children's Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Over 65's Travel Insurance
- Medical Insurance Homepage
- Allergies Travel Insurance
- Angina Travel Insurance
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Brain Tumour Travel Insurance
- Breast Cancer Travel Insurance
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Cancer Travel Insurance
- COPD Travel Insurance
- Crohn's Disease Travel Insurance
- Dementia Travel Insurance
- Depression Travel Insurance
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Disability Travel Insurance
- DVT Travel Insurance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Heart Condition Travel Insurance
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- Gall Stones Travel Insurance
- Lupus Travel Insurance
- MS Travel Insurance
- Prostate Cancer Travel Insurance
- Stroke Travel Insurance
- Children with Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Cruise Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Senior Travel Insurance with Medical Conditions
- Travelling With Medication
- Travelling With Diabetes
- Adventure Travel Insurance
- Annual Cruise Travel Insurance
- Couple's Travel Insurance
- Extreme Sports Travel Insurance
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Group Travel Insurance
- Hiking Insurance
- Interrail Travel Insurance
- International Travel Insurance
- Long Term Travel Insurance
- Off-piste Ski Insurance
- Over 70's Travel Insurance
- Over 80's Travel Insurance
- Pregnancy Travel Insurance
- Sailing Travel Insurance
- Scuba-diving Travel Insurance
- Senior Travel Insurance
- Student Travel Insurance
- Travel Health Travel Insurance
- Under 16 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Volunteering Abroad Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- Working Holiday Insurance
- Holiday Cancellation Insurance
- EHIC Information
- Car Hire Excess Cover
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- France Travel insurance
- Halong Bay Vietnam
- Indonesia Travel Insurance
- New Orleans
- New York
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Vietnam Travel Insurance
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF.
Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address: 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.