When you touch down at East Midlands airport it feels good to know that someones waiting to pick you up, or that theres a wide range of public transport options to complete your journey. Friends or family members who are collecting a passenger from the airport can use this page to keep abreast of the latest inbound flight news, while those arriving on a flight can find out about the train, bus and taxi connections.
How to drive to East Midlands airport
Centrally located in the UK, East Midlands airport can be reached easily by car, whether youre driving up from London, or the short distance from Stoke. The airports close proximity to the M1 ensures that its straightforward to find, and if youre planning your route with sat nav you can get in-depth directions by inputting the postcode: DE74 2SA. Heres some of the easiest ways to drive to the airport:
- Driving northbound on the M1, turn off at junction 23a. If youre driving southbound on the same motorway, you can switch to the A453 at junction 24.
- From Birmingham, East Midlands airport can be reached by following the A42.
- Drive down the A50 from Stoke, before moving onto the A453.
- If youre starting in Nottingham, use the A453 to reach the airport in excellent time.
You can find further directions on our main directions to East Midlands airport page, and by using the map below.
Its important to park correctly, even if youre picking up a passenger quickly, so follow the next stage of our guide to avoid picking up a fine!
Parking at East Midlands airport
When you arrive at East Midlands airport you might be able to pick up a friend from an inbound flight right away, or it may be that you have to wait at one of the car parks. Fortunately, the airport has a number of parking options, and the following two are perfect for people collecting arrivals:
- Pick up and drop off If youve planned ahead and know exactly when your passenger will be arriving at the terminal you can park directly outside for up to 10 minutes, at a cost of just £1*.
- Short stay It might be that your friend or family members flight is delayed, or simply that you arrive early. The short stay car park is right outside the terminal and you can park for up to 30 minutes at just £2.20*, allowing you to meet your passenger and load up the car at your leisure.
Remember if you park or stop in an unauthorised area you can be fined, so take care to choose your pick up point carefully.
*Prices shown correct as of August 27, 2013.
Public transport from East Midlands airport
East Midlands airport is well-connected when your inbound flight lands youll be able to choose from taxis and buses, assuming you havent booked a place in advance.
Choose from one of the following options:
- Train and bus connections. The airport is close to Derby, Long Eaton and Nottingham railway stations. Simply buy a combined train and bus ticket (often at a discounted rate), and youll be able to take the short bus trip from the airport to your station of choice.
- Bus. Buses operate all day, every day, and travel to destinations including Nottingham, Leicestershire, Derby, Loughborough, Long Eaton and Coalville. You can find them at the coach park, to the east of the EMA arrivals hall.
- Coach. At the coach park you can also find National Express coaches. Book in advance and these can take you to destinations like Sheffield, Leeds and Coventry, as well as Heathrow and Gatwick airports, in real comfort.
- Taxi. Arrow Cars is the official private hire taxi company for East Midlands airport. The office is conveniently located opposite the arrivals building, and cars are generally available immediately.